My Rock Flower Anemone Has Splitt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drfu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Some background, i purchased privately a rock flower anemone about a month or so ago. Its been great, nice colouring and no issues with it moving around at all until last week. It decided to go under a rock structure where i have a sun coral and a powerhead. After it staying their for a couple of days i kinda panicked as i have heard horror stories of anemones jumping into powerheads! I used an ice cube and my tweezers and moved him back. Its been fine for the last week when i noticed yesterday that their is a little one attached to the rock where it was before!

My question is this, a friend wants him, is it save to detach and give away or does it need time to grow first? Don't want to hurt the little guy!

How small is it? In a measurement like inches or centimetres (roughly)

I would say its big enough to move without hurting it. But you could keep it until it grows a bit then you could sell it for a decent amount of money. That's what I would do but it's your choice. Hope this helps.

Think i paid $10 for it, just found another one in my tank and it looks like its having one more? Doesn't there need to be a male & female for them to have babies or was this thing prego before & it was just time to split. Also will it continue to do this or is this a one time pregnancy and after what is done is done?

Think i paid $10 for it, just found another one in my tank and it looks like its having one more? Doesn't there need to be a male & female for them to have babies or was this thing prego before & it was just time to split. Also will it continue to do this or is this a one time pregnancy and after what is done is done?

Splitting is an example of asexual reproduction.

I didn't think they were, thought their were male & female?

Back
Top Bottom