My ryukin is losing his scales? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
got a picture!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/35832-albums1472-picture10047.jpg
I set up an album with three pictures but I think you need to click my profile before you can see them all... this one is just zoomed in on the base of his tale where its grey. I know it looks like ich but when you actually look in real life you can tell it is his skin instead of a parasite on top... hopefully it helps!

That does not look like ich, and prob not surface parasites either (fins are not clamped).

Did a bit of research, and according to JoAnn at PureGold, this may be [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Myxosporidiosis. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]This is a protozoa infection under the skin. This also may infect the gills, giving the appearance of inadequate O2. Apparently, there is no good treatment apart from clean water and prevention of secondary bacterial infection (salt will do that).

Some suggest that maintaining higher temp (like high 70's) and oral anti-parasitics (ie Praziquental) may help. Note that this is just what I read. I have not seen this before.

BY NAME, DISEASES OF GOLDFISH AND KOI
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT]

If it is a protozoan infection, then it can be infectious! However, whether to remove the fish at this point is not as straightforward a decision ...

Some considerations:

Although it is generally a good practice to remove sick fish to hospital tanks for treatment, this is beneficial only if you have a cycled hospital setup (or be doing daily 50-100% water changes). Putting a fish in an uncycled setup really stress them & will do more harm than good.

It is now days & weeks since the infection (if that is what it is) is evident in the fish. Any parasite is likely to be in the tank & on all the fish. It is prudent to treat the entire tank rather than a single fish.

On balance, I would think treating both fish together is sensible. <Esp. when the treatment is clean water & salt ... nothing too dangerous for a healthy fish.> Since your main tank is still not cycled, it would be unlikely for you to be able to set up a totally cycled hospital tank at a moment's notice.

thanks, would you be able to check out my other thread about my betta with possible velvet :( or what to treat it with since im not 100% sure he has it

thanks, would you be able to check out my other thread about my betta with possible velvet :( or what to treat it with since im not 100% sure he has it

I looked, but I know very little about Betta .... so stay with the advice the others had given you (ie Primafix or Melafix.) ... they are reasonable.

You also need to give it a bit of time for meds to work .... patience is hard in this hobby! :)

Back
Top Bottom