My setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KleinVis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum! I'm from Cape Town in SA. This is my setup: I've got an 25g tank with 22 fish. I've got 12 Neon tetras. 4 X-ray tetras. 3 Female Platy's (1 adult, 2 still small), 2 Peppered Cory's and a Dwarf Gourami. Setup is running good. I was wandering what could be an nice addition to my tank and really make it look good? I was thinking of an small non-aggresive eel-like fish or something like that? I know my tank looks pretty stocked, but I've got an filter rated for 50g and acording to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor my tank is only 60% stocked. Defenitly looking to get more plants! Any suggestions for nice looking fish and easy growing plants? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20130806-00704.jpg
    IMG-20130806-00704.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-20130728-00592.jpg
    IMG-20130728-00592.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG-20130804-00683.jpg
    IMG-20130804-00683.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG-20130806-00699.jpg
    IMG-20130806-00699.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I believe that the only eel like fish that would be ok in a 29 gallon would be khuli loaches or a peacock eel, however the loaches must be kept in groups (don't remember off the top of my head if its 3 or 5 per group) and the eel will probably overstock your tank.

I could be wrong but even with a filter rated for a 50 gallon the tank just seems like it will get real crowded here as your fish grow in size over the next few months.

However if I'm wrong or you decide to go with the peacock eel anyway, BEFORE you bring the eel home, buy a glass top (the ones with the plastic that you cut away on the back) and make sure that there are no holes, at all on the top of your tank. Speaking from experience, they only need about an inch to escape the tank and that is one of the worst ways to find a dead fish. If you can, i wouldn't even use a HOB filter with an eel, to much risk there.

You can do a small type eel and I would suggest 2-3 more corys. You may also want to consider some type of loach as there are a ton of color varieties. As for plants, I'd go with hornwart. Attach it to the rock formations and it will grow to the surface.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum! I'm from Cape Town in SA. This is my setup: I've got an 25g tank with 22 fish. I've got 12 Neon tetras. 4 X-ray tetras. 3 Female Platy's (1 adult, 2 still small), 2 Peppered Cory's and a Dwarf Gourami. Setup is running good. I was wandering what could be an nice addition to my tank and really make it look good? I was thinking of an small non-aggresive eel-like fish or something like that? I know my tank looks pretty stocked, but I've got an filter rated for 50g and acording to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor my tank is only 60% stocked. Defenitly looking to get more plants! Any suggestions for nice looking fish and easy growing plants? Thanks in advance!

Anacharis are real easy

According to Aqadvisor you're 114% sorry.

I wouldn't recommend adding anymore and no over filtration doesn't really allow you to overstock.

Id keep your stock as is but I would up the cories to 5. Your tank is only a 25g. If you take the main rule of inch per fish for 1 gallon your stocked. When you do that rule you have to account for adult size of each fish. You habe choosen small fish so just get 3 more cories and thats all

Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions! I've had a hard time with cory's. I had quite a fewe and useally they don't last 2 weeks, but some of them, like the 2 I have at the moment, are looking real healthy, so I think it is the stock from the local petshop that aint that great. Thank you again for al the reply's.

Very nice tank! Its nice to see a tank that isn't over stocked giving the fish plenty of pace to swim.

For eel like fish kuhli loach or dojo loach

Very nice tank! Its nice to see a tank that isn't over stocked giving the fish plenty of pace to swim.

For eel like fish kuhli loach or dojo loach

Are loaches peaceful or aggressive? Have heard both answers

Okay! So my computer has been down, and I had to do everything on my phone which was an real hassle! Thanks again for all the reply's. I just want to get my details 100% correct, I'm not disagreeing with anybody. Everyone has been very helpful! This is the correct aqadvisor info:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

It shows that my stocking level is 65% and filtration capacity 147%>
If you note, 2 of my Platy's are set on 2cm, as they are still juvenile. I know you should take the grownup size in consideration. That is just what my tank is like at the moment. As for the future, it will look something like this:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Which shows that the stocking level is still only 70%.
If I take inch per gallon in consideration it adds up to 30 inch which is then again overstocked! So I don't really know where to take it from here? I want to take the Cory count up to 5, but I haven't had the best of luck with Cory's. Would love the site of an Kuhli loach, but it is said that they don't do too great alone. In the mean while I've added some fake plant to accommodate my Dwarf Gourami, will definitely be getting real plants in the future. Thanks again for all the help and advise!

Pics of my fake plants. Wil be replacing them with real one's as soon as possible and will defnitly add as many as possible!

Attachments

• IMG-20130811-00734.jpg
    IMG-20130811-00734.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-20130811-00736.jpg
    IMG-20130811-00736.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-20130811-00735.jpg
    IMG-20130811-00735.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG-20130811-00738.jpg
    IMG-20130811-00738.jpg