My sister's guppy is sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
If it's all being consumed then no. The only thing I can think of is that maybe not all the blood worms are not being eaten.

Keep an eye on the levels and PWC as needed. Also check your test kit to see if it's out of date, double check you doing the test correctly and test a bottle of distilled water and compare the results with your tank and tap.

I will. I bought the kit about a month or two ago too. Where could i buy distilled?
Also, how do you euthanize? I might have to, i dont want the little guy to suffer

Gboy66 said:
I will. I bought the kit about a month or two ago too. Where could i buy distilled?
Also, how do you euthanize? I might have to, i dont want the little guy to suffer

I don't know about there but we get it at the supermarket in the ironing aid section of all places.

There is a sticky in the unhealthy fish section.

Mumma.of.two said:
I don't know about there but we get it at the supermarket in the ironing aid section of all places.

There is a sticky in the unhealthy fish section.

Lol ironing section? Funny!

Just readthe sticky.....i dont see how i could EVER do that, even though its painless....

Ok, i have cold water trying to et it to freeze. The little guy was swimming earlier, but whn i checked the tank he was facing directly down, and in a plant barely breathing...should i euthanize? I dont want to take his life away if he isnt dieing, but isnt being facedown a pretty good sign? Mumma, what'cha think? :'(

Gboy66 said:
Ok, i have cold water trying to et it to freeze. The little guy was swimming earlier, but whn i checked the tank he was facing directly down, and in a plant barely breathing...should i euthanize? I dont want to take his life away if he isnt dieing, but isnt being facedown a pretty good sign? Mumma, what'cha think? :'(

I can't make the call. It's up to you and nu nu. He does sound pretty bad. I'm so sorry :(

Mumma.of.two said:
I can't make the call. It's up to you and nu nu. He does sound pretty bad. I'm so sorry :(

I agree, we are going to wait till morning. He is so unpredictable, because he will swim around normally at random times.

Ok, so after the second water change today, i did another test. Ammo .5, trites 0 trates 40??? My god! Not even possible! Is my test kit faulty? I couldnt find an experation date, but what the heck?

Gboy66 said:
I agree, we are going to wait till morning. He is so unpredictable, because he will swim around normally at random times.

Ok, so after the second water change today, i did another test. Ammo .5, trites 0 trates 40??? My god! Not even possible! Is my test kit faulty? I couldnt find an experation date, but what the heck?

Shake the crap out of the bottles and test again then you will know if it was correct. Follow the instructions exactly.

Shake te bottles?? Ooooh... I never do that except for nitrates!! I always follow directions. Ill do this tomorrow.

What bugs me is i did the tests the same way twice today. One was ok, another was terrible...mm

Gboy66 said:
Shake te bottles?? Ooooh... I never do that except for nitrates!! I always follow directions. Ill do this tomorrow.

What bugs me is i did the tests the same way twice today. One was ok, another was terrible...mm

All you can do is test and retest and see if you get the same results I guess.

Mumma.of.two said:
All you can do is test and retest and see if you get the same results I guess.

I will. Well, i found the Poor little guy floating in the current, with his great long tail nipped off. So sad, i want to get down to the bottom of this death, even though it is only one. Im hoping for an rodi unit for christmas, maybe thatd help my fw tank?

Gboy66 said:
I will. Well, i found the Poor little guy floating in the current, with his great long tail nipped off. So sad, i want to get down to the bottom of this death, even though it is only one. Im hoping for an rodi unit for christmas, maybe thatd help my fw tank?

Ah poor little fella :(
If you use RO/DI water in a freshwater tank you need to add the minerals back into the water. IMO your better off just sticking to the dechlorinated tap water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ah poor little fella :(
If you use RO/DI water in a freshwater tank you need to add the minerals back into the water. IMO your better off just sticking to the dechlorinated tap water.

Really? What minerals? But my tap has ammo!

Gboy66 said:
Really? What minerals? But my tap has ammo!

Jeez, don't ask me what minerals exactly LOL. Your fish and your plants need the minerals found in tap water/ground water. If you use RO/DI or rain water those minerals aren't present. There are no buffers in the water so you will experience huge pH crashes.
.25 ppm of ammonia is nothing. You will be converting it with prime when you do your PWC then (before the prime stops working) it will be consumed by your BB. So really it's nothing to worry about. If your tank and tap are always testing .25ppm my guess is your test is out. Some of them are. That's why I suggested checking it against something you know has no ammonia (like distilled).

Thanks mumma!! I was going to get the rodi for my sw tank, and just thought that fw would benefit too. I have aquasafe plus conditiner. Should i get prime?

Gboy66 said:
Thanks mumma!! I was going to get the rodi for my sw tank, and just thought that fw would benefit too. I have aquasafe plus conditiner. Should i get prime?

I don't know about the aquasafe sorry. I've only ever used prime. I know/have heard the prime coverts the ammonia to a non toxic form and still allows the BB to consume. So I would recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom