My small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwe_ch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Now that I've gotten a large 230l/65g tank and have transferred my fish into it (they are doing great, see aquarium 004 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! for befores and afters), I've now set up my original tank as a planted tank and QT for a lone neon tetra that has a bent spine (I think it's from a vitamin deficiency, not TB, but the other Neon tetra that went in the QT one same day died overnight - about a month ago now).

In any event, the tank is a 40l Jebo (36W x 30D x 36cmH). I'm not using the built-in filter as it proved to disturb the water surface too much, causing much wasted fish food, but have a small internal filter instead.

In any event, it has enriched substrate soil with regular gravel on top. Some Anacharis and some java fern (not moss) and a mangrove driftwood piece.

I don't want the neon to die of boredom, but am not sure it's right to reintroduce him into the other tank. Could I move 4 cardinals in with him or is it better to get him some tank-mates that are better suited to the size of the tank? I'm thinking it's not a wide enough tank for the cardinals...

Any advice greatly received!

i would get some more neons. neons are schooling fish and are better better in groups of 5 or more

"The Neon Tetra is a shoaling species and you should always keep at least five Neon Tetras together, preferably more. A Neon Tetra that is kept alone will be much stressed and spend most if its time hiding. The stress can also weaken its immune system and make it more susceptible to illness. A large group of Neon Tetras are naturally also much more beautiful to watch in the aquarium and you will be able to see a much broader range of natural Neon Tetra behaviours. When kept in a shoal, Neon tetras are active creatures and they will spend most of their time in the middle to lower strata of the aquarium. Neon Tetras are known to sometimes shoal together with the closely related Cardinal Tetras." Neon Tetra

so i guess yes, you could try to put some cardinals in with him, but i'd say he would be much happier with his own kind.

I see absolutely no problem adding the cardinals to the tank. Why don't you add more neons so he'll school with them? Cardinals are very similar with the bottom stripe running all the way across rather than stopping half way, but that might be enough of a difference that your neon won't school

Clarifying

I don't want the neon to die of boredom, but am not sure it's right to reintroduce him into the other tank.

To clarify by "boredom" I meant in reference to the fact that he is a shoaling/schooling fish and right now he's alone. I got him (and his previous tank-mates) second-hand, but the others succumbed to the stress of the move.

is it better to get him some tank-mates that are better suited to the size of the tank? I'm thinking it's not a wide enough tank for the cardinals...

In reference to the above, is the tank big enough for Neons/Cardinals at 36 x 30 x 36 (12' X 14' X 12', approx 12 gallons)? It's only a foot wide! If not, isn't it probably best to figure out what to do with the sole Neon? I'd rather not introduce neons into the big tank that has Swordtails, Cardinals and Rummy-nosed tetras (see <<<--- my tanks)

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom