My Sons Tank -- 6 Weeks Old -- NITRITE = 5.0 what's next ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
My son got a 10 gal tank for his B-day on May 2. After 3 weeks or so is when I decided to get me a 55 and get started ( Bio Spira updates thread ).

His tank did not get Bio Spira , I have just been doing water changes to keep ammonia down , it does have fish in it.

It had been about 36 hours or so since I laast checked it when I got home from work this AM and find the AMMONIA level at 4.0 and the NITRITE is now reading 5.0 or more.

So I did about 80% water change and checked this evening and find Ammonia at 0.50 and Nitrite at 0.25.

How should I proceed with handling this on going cycle ????

You are doing what you should be doing. Just keep testing and changing water as needed. Your nitrites are starting to climb so you dont have that long to go. If you 55 is cycled move some media in to your son's filter that will help speed things along.

The 55 has not cycled , having a heck of mess with it , now battling an outbreak of ICH in the 55 , none in his 10 gal.

Then just keep doing what you are doing. Use nothing in the 55 that will go in the ten. You dont want to spread the ich around.

I did the same thing with my 10g except I did 50% water changes for two weeks every other day. Then it went down to 20% every other day. Tested like crazy and the tank is doing fantastic. Zero deaths as well.

Today the ammonia is up to 0.50 and the Nitrite = 0.50.

Do you think a 50% water change will be good enough????

It's been 48 hours since last water change , Ammonia = 0.25 , Nitrite = 5.0 , Nitrate = 10ppm

HOORAY , Nitrate I have. I also found ICH , have been treating for last 48 hrs also
( temp at 88 degrees and salt at tbsp per 5 gal )

Did about 70% water change.

Congrats it's all downhill now. Should be soon and the ammonia will be 0 and shortly after that the nitrites will bottom out.

Todays water test , Ammonia = 0.25 , Nitrite = 5.0 , Nitrate = 20ppm

Did 80 % water change and now params are Nitrite = 0.50 and Nitrate = 5.0

No ICH spots to be seen on fish.

Back
Top Bottom