My tang has issues...or a crab fetish....perhaps both

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The thing is my yellow tang flashes...quite a bit.Its not constant,but when its on his mind he gets after it pretty good.

Somtimes going from one side or the tank to the other hitting all the rock along the way.Othertimes just bumping the pvc pipe then backing up and bumping it again...sometimes this can go on for thirty seconds or so.

The water tests perfect...0,0,0 with a stable ph.

BUT as of late he has taken to slumming with the inverts.Making a point of it actually.Hovering over/beside a crab and getting "scratched" by them....almost what you would expect with cleaner behavior.

Otherwise the fish seems fine.Looks great and eats like it may not ever eat again.No Ich can be seen and the body and coloration are ideal imo.

Any thoughts or questions are welcome.

Find the nearest cleaner shrimp pusher and grab two.
Do you have anything in your tank that would eat the shrimp?

You are not seeing any white spot or black spot on him are you? Inspect him good and close to see if you see any.

No spots to speak of... black or white...its pretty easy to get a good look at him.

I have crabs,snails and the tang and one clown fish so I think some cleaner shrimp will be ok.I'll look into em next time I head to the lfs.

Oh ...now I see lol...your from Sumter.I couldnt figure out why anyone would care about the store name.

I'm out of Rock Hill and there anre no SW fish in town...just some supplies.I have to drive into pinville for anything alive.

There are four stores that I usually get to when I get up there:

Fintastic on S.tryon,Pinville pets on 51 just past pinville,Frank and Pegs and petco...both on the south end of south blvd.

Ok...I have to update this...

I have a cleaner shrimp now thanks to my bud phelps,who is a user here under the same name.He picked up two knowing I had been looking to get one.

Let me say...this is a match made in heaven.Just what the doctor ordered.

I do have a question though...do the shrimp ride the fish often?By ride I mean its cleaning,the fish swims away,and the shrimp stays attached for the trip.Just hanging on and cleaning while the tang laps the tank.Then it gets bumped off where it all started.

I know its cool...just wondering if its common/normal?

Hopefully it's just dead skin the tang is trying to remove. Otherwise, be prepared for a problem. Also start adding garlic to the food to help boost his immune system. Zoe too for vitamin. Cleaner shrimp don't cure ick and the like IMO. Look at his pec fins real close. See any real fine white spots?

I've never seen a shrimp ride a fish. That's gotta be cool to see. I you can, get a still shot of it at least.

See any real fine white spots?

I've never seen a shrimp ride a fish. That's gotta be cool to see. I you can, get a still shot of it at least.

Its not hard to get a good look at him.The fish looks fine...I really have inspected it closely and often and not one thing looks wrong..never has.

As far as the photo goes...well....Have you seen my other pics?lol
Both the camera and the camera opertor have issues getting decent pics,but I did load it with new batteries in an effort to try...I'll catch a bad pic if I can.

But its beyond cool...had no idea it was possible....had never considered it.

SCFatz said:
I do have a question though...do the shrimp ride the fish often?By ride I mean its cleaning,the fish swims away,and the shrimp stays attached for the trip.Just hanging on and cleaning while the tang laps the tank.Then it gets bumped off where it all started.

When I first got my cleaner shrimp, they would try and stay attached to my Yellow Tang when she would swim away. They would hang on for a few seconds and then let go and swim back to their "home" in the tank. I'd say it seems pretty normal -- the shrimp want to eat and the fish want to get rid of parasites.

Back
Top Bottom