My tank is at healthy levels, but my gourami is sick... help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaDana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium for about 4 months now. We test the water with several tests every week (perfect numbers), vaccuum it once a month, do the required water changes, etc. by the book. Now, suddenly, our dwarf gourami who we've had for 3 months, has what I think is popeye, his face has turned gray, his abdomen looks a little swollen, and he has a little hole near the end of his body right before his tail fin (the hole looks like it's getting bigger). All in all, it looks like the little guy's just falling apart!! I don't think he's being harassed by any of our other fish (we have 5 guppies, 3 danios, 1 betta, 3 ghost catfish, 2 cardinal tetras, and a golden algae eater). The only fish we have that is aggresive is the golden algae eater, but he doesn't seem to have attacked the gourami. What should I do? Will my other fish get sick?
Thank you for your help!! :cry:

I'd treat the fish with a broad spectrum antibiotic and do partial water changes daily. It might be a good idea if you could separate this fish from the others during treatment.

Which of the symptoms do you think is the most worrisome? What % water change should we do? We just did a 10% yesterday, and a water testing last night (all levels were good). Do you think anything he has is contagious to the other fish?

I don't see one symptom as particularly "more" worrisome than the others. It just sounds like the poor thing is in horrible shape. When you say your numbers are perfect....what's that mean.

Perfect to me would be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates under 40 ppm.

As far as it being contagious most infections are opportunistic and prey on fish that are already weak so I would try to optimize my water conditions. If you posted your test results I could give you a better idea of how much water to change.

Personally I would do at least 20-35% daily while the fish was ill. But I would also separate that fish from the others. Even if the fish isn't contagious per se if he dies while you are out and is left in the tank the other fish might eat 'em and that could be bad.

We test the water with several tests every week (perfect numbers

Can you list what exactly you test, and the readings for it?
vaccuum it once a month

You may want to do it more like every 2 weeks or so. Once a month is a bit long.
Which of the symptoms do you think is the most worrisome?

The bacterial infection. Definitley get some broad spectrum antibiotics soon. You'd me amazed at how fast an external infection can take over the fishes body.

I'd do 10% water changes. Remove the carbon from your filter cartridge. If it is bacterial, it could be contagious yes. If you have another tank, I would move him into it. There is a great link in the articles section of this on making a QT/hospital tank.

Good Luck. 8)

You live in California where the temps are warm so you could most likely get away with treating the gourami in a bucket. Buy a broad spectrum antibiotic and some type of airstone to keep the bucket aerated......

Thank you for all your advice. I'm currently at work, otherwise I would have posted the exact testing numbers. (I can post them tonight) I probably will do the bucket, airstone, antibiotics method. After I move him out, how many days of water changes should I do for the community tank?
Are both the tail hole and popeye bacterial infections? Also, do you have any idea why his head would be gray?
As for the vaccuuming, we'd read that once a month, during the 25% water change was optimal (we do a 10% water change weekly). Our ammonia levels have always been good, so do I need to vaccuum bi-weekly?

Here are the test numbers:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 nitrate
7.2 pH

79-80 degrees

Also, the filter was changed on 8-1-05 (with new carbon)

Your numbers are fine. I would just treat the affected fish in a bucket and go about your regular maitenance schedule with the main tank as long as no other fish have any symptoms. It couldn't hurt to gravel vac the main tank whenever you do pwc but your test results seem to indicate the maintenance you are currently doing is fine.

Thought I'd give you an update... got home from work last night, the gourami was dead... but he was wedged under some rocks, so luckily none of the other fish appeared to notice or nip at him. I just can't believe how bad he got in one day!

Thank you for your advice anyway, now I'll be checking every fish in the tank all the time, so I can give them meds at the first sign of something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom