My tank Journal (Nanaki989)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nanaki989

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, have had my aquarium up and running now for 2 months now. I have been recording its progress with pictures and Will go over my first 2 months of experiences and tragedies.

I was pretty into the hobby when I was a young teenager, as much as any 13 year old can be into anything that is! :lol: I recently purchased a 5 gallon aquarium and within a week I knew that it was not enough for me. I quickly acquired a 10 gallon and a friend offered me her 30 gallon she had in her garage. This was in BAD shape and I knew it would be a big project.

I Had an outbreak of Ick in my 5 gallon, I cranked up the heater and put in salt, after several days all my fish were symptom free and i decided to leave the heat up until after a week to make sure all the Ick was cleared up. Alas I returned home and all but 1 of my fishes was dead. My wife, who was trying to help me unplugged the filter, they all suffocated.

Heartbroken I flushed my first fish friends and nursed my Black Skirt tetra back to full health. This is when I decided, I need to become a better fish owner and struck out into the world wide web! You may have heard of this wondrous place! But all was not well in the lands of trolls and e-ragers...... Misinformation abounds and I quickly learned that the reputable websites were few and far between.... I stumbled upon a virtual Eden! Could it be? A place where mistakes are forgiven and even a fish murderer such as myself could possibly be accepted. Nay, it was an illusion... So I lurked and I read, and I double checked and fact checked and read some more. Yes! These people they are like me, they are emotionally attached to their :fish1:TOO!

So I signed up, asked some questions about my new guppy friends and began what was to become an obvious addiction. I decided it was time to tackle my 30 gallon, and I was going to do it as cheaply as possible! (rug rats are expensive folks!) I began reading about DIY projects and great ways to save money. So here without further ADO! My attempt at a great fish habitat with as much DIY as possble. A little background for those of you reading this (a large assumption I know!) I am a 26 year old father 1 baby boy (henceforth in this document referred to as MONSTER) I work for a school district in Southwest Kansas as the Computer systems operator. My degree is in Computer Science, and my only woodworking skills are the occasional project I dabbled in over my short life, and intro Shop (keep in mind, my Key/Letter holder was exceptional if I do say so myself!)

I began with a beat up shell of an Aquarium, it is old. The fake wood trim is a tribute to that. The Flourescent bulb inside was a purple color that lit about 1/3 of the tank with a weak light. At 15 watts It was woefully inadequate. The edges of the tank were chipped almost through the glass in multiple areas, and the back is covered in scratches. Im sure it will look like a show tank in no time! (y). I began my endeavor at the only place that carries what I need in the middle of nowhere, Home Depot. I knew I needed to do address my main issues first, and as my budget would allow, I would add on.

So I decide to tackle the big issues first.
1. The massive chips in the glass, if this thing wont hold water It probably wiill not hold fish! :D
2. The hideous background, I envision a heavily planted tank, lots of moss and rocks. And being the huge gaming nerd, draw heavily from Starcraft's landscapes in my mind. Xel'Naga Mountain on a plain.
(I had seen a large piece of blue Slag glass at my LFS and this was to be my focal point in the tank)

I purchase Silicone, and search around for a background, I hear a moss wall would look really great, maybe I will do that. I pick up my Concrete sand 2.75 per 50 lb bag, I pick up my bag of MGOPS and I come across the flooring section. Pieces of ceramic tile on sale...... A quick google search says the stuff is safe for fish. I pick up 10 pieces of broken ceramic and toss it in my cart. I think we are ready to start!

I silicone up my seals in the tank let it cure and fill it with water! SUCCESS!
Next, the background how Do i want to make this look, i know I want moss so i need space for it to grow! I decide broken pieces and I want it to look like "The Shattered Plains" (I am a book nerd, The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson excellent Novel check it out) I set out to work several hours later I am satisfied by what I've created.

Attachments

• 856109_2771649786259_607196267_o.jpg
    856109_2771649786259_607196267_o.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 88
Adding on to our little tank!

I decided to go with a NPT, except my LFS carries 2 plants. Anachris and Hornwort, I order some DHG and Micro sword off Aquabid and plant it in my sand/potting soil substrate. I know that Amonia and Nitrates are going to wreak havoc on my fish If I don't get more plants or get a filter. So I decide DIY time! I read up on all sorts of DIY filters

I decide on a moving bed filter of sorts, but youtube only shows how to make them out of 20 oz. pop bottles and I'm thinking something MUCH grander. I run to walmart and look at all the containers I can find! I settle on a 2 liter bottle of soda thinking that The shape would be a larger version proportionally and SHOULD work. WRONG no matter how much I try I cannot get the Media to rotate! This will cause Anaerobic bacteria and that is bad. I don't know this for certain but its an eventuality I would rather not tempt. :whistle:
I try re purposing a 100 Disk holder, No dice. I decide to research further and look for something with a longer neck and It strikes me OJ bottle, the fancy ones! I run out and buy a bottle of SimplyOrange OJ (I have to drink it of course, the sacrifices I have to make for my fishes :angel:)

I add in the the Airline tube add my media and VIOLA! floating filter......
I try adding a suction cup! VIOLA! floating filter......
Frustrated I pile rocks on top and precariously perch it in the upright position... SUCCESS! I think....

Several days Later, floating filter, rock smashed plants.

I decide that I'm going to fill a bottle with sand and tight it to bottle, but another snag! Frustration abounds I go down stairs to repurpose something from the fridge. My wife gives me the disappointed headshake.... I am robbing her house blind for my fish tank! ALL IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE! I come up with a lemon sack, lots of holes, plastic It would work really great to grow moss around my filter to hide it! SWEET! This will work great. Rubber band viola no floating filter! Working beautifully! Im not satisfied with the water current in my tank though. So I purchase a Powerhead from my LFS (another weekly allowance gone on my fishes!) and add a sponge to the bottom intake.

Attachments

• 882495_2771644426125_1548363633_o.jpg
    882495_2771644426125_1548363633_o.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 93
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 90
And it continues!

I decide that I want fish, but my Cycle is not done, I read that lots of plants fix this problem! I see my LFS guy, I buy every plant in the shop (Litterally) :facepalm::ROFLMAO:

I purchase 6 Longfin Zebra Danios and 4 Ottocynclus, he joins my Sole survivor Tetra +2 Rescued tetras from the LFS (he was about to kill them he says, I paid 25% and gave them a salt bath and daily 50% water changes. Healthy as ever!)
and one month running Ive got a nice little family going now. I wait a week and purchase 11 Black Neon Tetra! I add them in and DISASTER!

I awake to melted plants, leaves EVERYWHERE. To top it off my tannins are in full force from my soil. 50% water change, get as much of the plant debris out and figure out what is going on. My DHG is browing and dying, my Microsword is a sick yellow color. I decide it has to be my lights! I check my in hood bulb and figure out 15 Watts. I read about what plants need in terms of light and discover Im courting disaster, I need NEW LIGHTS! 150+ dollars for a nice lighting system... Thats not going to happen. DIY time! I settle on the easiest method, 4 6500k 26watt CFL's in work lamps. Cheap effective and striking color.

My DHG and Micro Sword rebounds, DHG propogating like crazy now! Excellent, Hornwort completely died off save for a half dozen 2 inch offshoots, trimmed them and let them float in the tank. Anachris mostly melted off, hoping it recovers!

Attachments

• 857018_2771632745833_1409645688_o.jpg
    857018_2771632745833_1409645688_o.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 859737_2771669346748_854298071_o.jpg
    859737_2771669346748_854298071_o.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 79
  • 882389_2771643546103_2100239066_o.jpg
    882389_2771643546103_2100239066_o.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 103
This weekend I built MONSTER a sandbox, but while I was at Home Depot I decided to pick up some lumber for building a little Lamp Holder off the hood of my tank, Safety first! Monster loves feeding the fish with daddy and doing water changes, but we had a near miss this week and a lamp slipped into the tank! SCARY!!! :hide::(:nono:
EVERYONE IS FINE!
It took me about an hour to throw together, cost me about 9 dollars in total. I think it turned out well, may or may not paint it. We will see!

Its not as bright as when they were directly on the tank but I like the more natural look anyways. It's kind of what Ive been after the entire time.

Attachments

• 858281_2771631665806_126240060_o.jpg
    858281_2771631665806_126240060_o.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 207356_2771638865986_1717068504_n.jpg
    207356_2771638865986_1717068504_n.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 856744_2771635705907_765613296_o.jpg
    856744_2771635705907_765613296_o.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 83
I thought I would add a post with total cost so far Excluding fish/plants. As my goal was a cheap aquarium that still looked nice. This is all in USD
Sand 2.75 @ Home Depot (I used the Quickrete Concrete Sand)
Potting soil 5.00 @ Home Depot(I used the Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil)
1 Simply Orange Bottle 2.50 free orange juice came with it :D
1 50 Gallon Air pump 14.99 @ LFS
4 6500k Daylight CFLs 26 Watt 12.95 @Sam's Club
4 Work lamps 24.00 @ 6.00 each @ Wally World
1 12ft Piece of lumber cut into 4 pieces .99 @ Home Depot
10 pieces of Ceramic tiles 2.50 @ .25 a SQ ft @ Home Depot (A handy tip, I picked up already broken pieces of ceramic and asked for a discount! The Manager gave me this price which was roughly 70-90% off.)
2 Tubes of Silicon 16.00 @ 8.00 each @ Home Depot
1 Powerhead 24.99 @ LFS
1 Giant Sponge 1.29 @ Home Depot.

So to day 107 dollars into my project. I am pleased but ive got alot of work to do still!

I also placed an order for 6"x6" piece of Java moss, going to start my rock wall!

Oh and the Beta is Rock Chalk, cycling the 5 gallon again (went into temp storage) So I can put a nice little Beta tank downstairs for Monster and the Wife.

New Plants

Purchased some Jungle Val, and Giant Hairgrass today! Ill post pictures when i get it put in.

Back
Top Bottom