My tank won’t cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lii

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So originally I was dosing my tank up to 4ppm everyday and it was great and all because I had a nitrite spike and I got nitrates. But now unfortunately I have been 8 weeks into cycling and 4 ppm of ammonia will not cycle out in 24 hours. My tanks ph is at 8 and water is at 64 but I heard adding a heater makes it go faster so now it’s 70ish. I am very frustrated, I also had to do two huge water changes because my nitrates were at 160 ppm.

Need more info to try and help......nitrites ? , and if you have nitrates that high the cycle must be going but maybe can't handle 4ppm ammonia . Try cutting back to 2ppm ammonia and see if that is gone in 24 hours . The temp of the tank will be determined by the species of fish you plan to keep . Most tropical fish like 72-80 degrees Fahrenheit so you are below that .

Nitrites are zero. Also this is for a cold water species and I heard that if I upped the temp ithe cycle would go by faster. And I did cut back to 2 ppm and it didn’t cycle out.

Back
Top Bottom