My Tanks Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
abrage22 said:
So I finally got my light fixture up this morning. The legs don't fit my tank, its the trim on the inside thats preventing the legs going down to attach. So right now it's just sitting there on top, any ideas on what to do:confused:. Also, the tank still isn't that bright, I think the water might have been a little cloudy this whole time ? ?

My upgraded lighting was the same way. The brackets that supported the light fit on mine, but it wasn't a perfect match and I was scared to death I was gonna bump it and splash the light down into the tank. What I did was remove the front portion of my glass hood and set the light flush onto the back section so it's just laying on the glass.

I just learned an awesome trick from Mr. Limpet. Pick up some Poly-fil (stuff they use to make pillows). You can get it at Wal-mart or any fabric store. It's like $5 a bag and will last a year. I've been dealing with an algae bloom / cloudy water for the last few weeks, last night I added Poly-fil and used a dose of the Seachem Clarity (flocculent), and I woke up to a crystal clear tank this morning :). I stuffed it down into the trays of my canister filter, but if you have a HOB I'm sure there's a way you can jam some down into the filter area. Make sure you don't get a fire "retardant" bag that contains chemicals...the normal fire resistant or natural type is safe. It worked a miracle for me last night.

Huh, thanks for tip, i'll have to try that. I just put the light on my old lights glass cover, I don't if I should just keep it like that, or if that would prevent getting the full potential of light in the tank.
I'll also be wanting to pick up some plants later today at petsmart. I know, petsmart isn't the greatest, but for now i'll deal with it. Any suggestions on certain types? Also, what should I use for fertilizers? The liquid stuff, or if there's anything else out there...

Huh, thanks for tip, i'll have to try that. I just put the light on my old lights glass cover, I don't if I should just keep it like that, or if that would prevent getting the full potential of light in the tank.
I'll also be wanting to pick up some plants later today at petsmart. I know, petsmart isn't the greatest, but for now i'll deal with it. Any suggestions on certain types? Also, what should I use for fertilizers? The liquid stuff, or if there's anything else out there...

Remind me, what type of lighting did you get? That makes all the difference in what you can get and how to care for them.

Plants and lighting are FAR from my specialty, but that seems like some serious lighting for a 28 gallon. I guess you plan on getting pretty serious into planted tanks? I personally don't know squat about co2 systems...so you'll have to talk to one of the other guys about that and ferts.

On my 48 gallon I've got duel T-5 HO 39 watt bulbs, one is actinic which looks awesome, but doesn't really count towards growing plants. I've got Water Sprite, Vals, Java Moss, Rotala rotundifolia, Ambulia and a Morimo ball. They all look different and give great diversity, are super easy to grow and maintain, and are all growing great with my lighting.

Ha, no I don't want to get REALLY into it. Just as long as I dont have to get into the co2 stuff...

The Jam-is-on said:
Yeah, I'm still stuck in the nitrite spike and its driving me crazy. I'm doing water changes for the fishies sake so that is slowing it down.

I did get nitrites before the nitrates came in at all so I'd agree with Eco and presume that you're cycled. Lucky ;-)

Ooh... Ya... The nitrite spike sucks! Especially with fish!!! Luckily, it drops almost overnight, and you'll be nearly cycled!

abrage22 said:
Ha, no I don't want to get REALLY into it. Just as long as I dont have to get into the co2 stuff...

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt because plants are not my thing...but if you run into any trouble with needing co2 or ferts, you can switch out one of the bulbs for actinic. They provide an AWESOME bluish tint to the aquarium, and when it gets dark outside I turn off the main sun lamp and just keep the bluish / violet light glowing until I go to bed. It looks awesome. There are definitely plants that virtually grow in the dark like Anacharis, Java Ferns, Java Moss, etc... which are great beginner plants and really easy to care for to try out the whole planted tank thing to see how deep into it you want to get. I wouldn't recommend really listening to me though until you get a second opinion from a planted tank guy, lol.

Last edited:
Ooh... Ya... The nitrite spike sucks! Especially with fish!!! Luckily, it drops almost overnight, and you'll be nearly cycled!

As a matter of fact it did and I am cycled as of yesterday! (y)

I am looking in to upgrading my lighting as well and want a few plants (as long as I don't have to get into CO2 and the like) so someone that knows please chime in!

The Jam-is-on said:
As a matter of fact it did and I am cycled as of yesterday! (y)

I am looking in to upgrading my lighting as well and want a few plants (as long as I don't have to get into CO2 and the like) so someone that knows please chime in!

Great job :). Perseverance, commitment and patience pays off yet again. BTW, your Avatar looks like Ryan Reynolds, lol.

I'm a little bit confused about daylight and actinic bulbs... can someone explain all these types of bulbs, and if I should worry about changing any here and there. I keep reading online about people switching out different types of bulbs every so often...

abrage22 said:
I'm a little bit confused about daylight and actinic bulbs... can someone explain all these types of bulbs, and if I should worry about changing any here and there. I keep reading online about people switching out different types of bulbs every so often...

If I've got my facts right...actinic bulbs were developed and intended for saltwater reef tanks...but the freshwater guys quickly realized they make their tanks look absolutely awesome. They don't provide any real benefits for plants other than aesthetic purposes. In mine I've got one T-5 HO 39 watt "Ultra Sun", which provides the daylight look and type of lighting the plants require, but my second bulb is actinic and basically just serves to make my aquarium look good. Once you see it with an actinic...they look horrible without one glowing IMO. If one of your two bulbs is actinic, you're basically going to have to view it as only a pretty source of blue / violet lighting, and not consider it as part of your plant requirements.

If you are looking for more detailed info for what is required for the plants you want to house, it may be good to start a thread in the planted tanks section of the forum. The guys there (especially fort384 and mfdrookie) really know their stuff when it come to planted tanks and required lighting.

Last edited:
I did a big 20% pwc today, my pH was 7.4 a couple days ago, after the water change it read 8.8:eek: This pH thing is really making me frustrated...

With my light fixture, do I have any flexibility in buying different bulbs for it? I'd like to change out one of the bulbs for a bulb with a little more wattage that also can benefit my plants, I'd like to get into the 2's for wpg...
Sorry, bare with me, i'm a newbie

Generally no, the fixture will only take a certain wattage and that is it. To increase light you need another fixture or a more powerful one.

I got an awesome 19'' tall piece of driftwood at an auction for $2 :dance:
It's in its 2nd day of soaking, and boy is it leaching lots of tannins...

Attachments

• IMAG0759.jpg
    IMAG0759.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 101
abrage22 said:
I got an awesome 19'' tall piece of driftwood at an auction for $2 :dance:
It's in its 2nd day of soaking, and boy is it leaching lots of tannins...

It looks like a spoon! Lol. Great find!

You can boil the DW to leech tannin faster and become water logged. I remember boiling DW for 16 hours(changing water when it gets dark brown) until the DW stopped leeching. I like the tea-like color of the water due to the DW. Nice looking DW :)

Back
Top Bottom