My Trial with Tetra SafeStart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It didn't die that night I put it in, and water level didn't rise to disastrous numbers . I'm pleased so far.

I don't think there's any problems with my bacteria colony. Again, I use to change water every day, which is also the time period where my fish didn't eat very much. Now I'm doing it every 2-3 days with my fish eating on a good feeding schedule and it grew half an inch long and it also got fatter. Puffers create a lot of waste. I'm slowly growing my colony.

If my fish dies tonight, I will hate this product forever and will give it bad reviews wherever I go. I just can't keep up with the 60-90% water changes every 2-3 days. I thought my tank would be completely cycled after doing this for over 2 months. This is my last resort.
There's a lot of fear when I'm adding in a product with mixed reviews, so I use Safestart with a pessimistic point of view.

edit: I only vacuum the part of the sand with visible waste. Before I added safestart, I siphon with the opening of the tube directly touching the sand. Usually there is nothing there. My sand is bright red, so I can clearly see anything sitting on top of the sand. I'll continue to do this for another solid week. My tap water is very clean (0s across the board) with ~7ph.

I just mentioned the first part because it takes time for the bacteria to establish themselves, that's why they say not to do a water change for at least a week after adding it. Because of that I wouldn't expect any major results for at least a few days, and a 50% water change potentially removed 50% of the product from the system.

I'm just going to keep my patience. Reviews states that it works 1-2 weeks after dosing tanks and do pwc to keep low ammonia and NitrIte. Although this isn't the exact formula as Dr. Tim's One & Only Nitrifying bacteria, it should be somewhat close.

Open for discussions.

The bacteria attaches itself to objects inside the tank. After letting the bacteria out of the bottle and letting it run through my filter for 12+ hours (before my 75% pwc), I can safely say that most (if not all) of the bacteria is already attached to something. Most of the bacteria should be on my biowheel, filter pad, and aquaclear quick filter. I keep a low amount of ammonia/nitrite in the tank for the bacteria to feed on, but I also want the water to be as safe as possible for my fish. Its hard to balance.

Safestart doesn't cycle tanks, its bacteria in a bottle that helps cycle a tank. I don't think its safe at all because you need to add a fish. If fish is not added, then ammonia is the next best step. But there's no point in buying safestart if you have ammonia.

edit: well you guys know what I mean. we just need to use whatever you can get to fit the situation. Buy safestart if you already have a fish in the tank and you have no where else to put the fish. Just ammonia if you don't have fish yet. etc.

I'm well aware of the process, I was just relaying some information that I've gleaned from the tetra reps. The bacteria is in a dormant state and takes time to become active. After rereading the Q&A from the tetra reps they even recommended not to do a water change for at least 2 weeks after adding the product.

Since there are fish in the tank, there is a constant ammonia source, so there is no need to keep a level of readable ammonia in the tank as well.

I've never trust tetra but i believe in bottle bacteria ( not this one though). i dont think after 3 month with mini-cycle that it will be ok because of a product!

Bottle bacteria are cycling fastener but if something prevent your tank from cycling a product is not gonna change much thing!

jetajockey said:
I'm well aware of the process, I was just relaying some information that I've gleaned from the tetra reps. The bacteria is in a dormant state and takes time to become active. After rereading the Q&A from the tetra reps they even recommended not to do a water change for at least 2 weeks after adding the product.

Since there are fish in the tank, there is a constant ammonia source, so there is no need to keep a level of readable ammonia in the tank as well.

What if for what ever reason the ammonia rises to a dangerous level for the fish?

Terrance said:
The bacteria attaches itself to objects inside the tank. After letting the bacteria out of the bottle and letting it run through my filter for 12+ hours (before my 75% pwc), I can safely say that most (if not all) of the bacteria is already attached to something. Most of the bacteria should be on my biowheel, filter pad, and aquaclear quick filter.

You changed 75% of the water with the vacuum in the sand?? Hope not if yes 12-15 hours isnt enough for bacteria to wakw from dormance and attach and be effective!!

Opinion!

You changed 75% of the water with the vacuum in the sand?? Hope not if yes 12-15 hours isnt enough for bacteria to wakw from dormance and attach and be effective!!

Opinion!

If the reps say not to change the water, then why didn't Tetra put that in the instructions on the back of the bottle? I'm following instructions word for word. Stuff like this makes me think less of Tetra.

75% pwc without touching the sand. The bacteria does stay dormant, but IMO most of it should still be caught on filter pads, biowheel, and everything else. I haven't rinsed my filter pads for 1 week. I think it just takes time for all of the bacteria to start working.

I just clean my Eclipse in the hood filter. There was a paper thin layer of waste buildup around certain areas, but now its gone.

I hope my best judgments and your advice will not lead me astray.
Wish me luck guys! :thanks:

Today's update:

9/9/11 PM: 0.50 - 0.75 Ammonia; 0 NirIte
Just fed my puff a lot of food, so it should produce a lot of waste. Then threw in Safestart

9/10/11 AM: ~0.75 Ammonia; < 0.25 Nitrite; < 5.0 Nitrate
I'm really surprised to see the Ammonia not going up after a large feeding. I did a 75% water change to keep ammonia a little lower for my fish.
9/10/11 PM: <0.25 Ammonia; 0.00 Nitrite; <5.0 NitrAte
I did not feed my fish today because he is suppose to eat every other day. It shouldn't stop him from producing waste though.

9/11/11 AM: ~0.25 Ammonia; <0.25 NitrIte; <5.0 NitrAte
I just fed my fish a chunk of raw shrimp. No other variable change.

9/12/11 PM: 0.50 Ammonia; 0 Nitrite; <5.0 NitrAte (not detectable with API kit)
Did a ~75% water change to keep water safe for fish. No fish feeding today.
Found tiny flying bugs over the top of the water. There were baby bugs swimming at the top level of the water. I used a net and fished them all out. I'll check again tomorrow and net more when necessary.

Wow, still can't get rid of the ammonia.

Since you said you don't clean the sand, I think you should do it.

Any plants in the tank?

Today's update:

Just fed my puff a lot of food, so it should produce a lot of waste. Then threw in Safestart

I'm really surprised to see the Ammonia not going up after a large feeding. I did a 75% water change to keep ammonia a little lower for my fish.
I did not feed my fish today because he is suppose to eat every other day. It shouldn't stop him from producing waste though.

Did a ~75% water change to keep water safe for fish. No fish feeding today.
Found tiny flying bugs over the top of the water. There were baby bugs swimming at the top level of the water. I used a net and fished them all out. I'll check again tomorrow and net more when necessary.

9/13/11 PM: 0.50 Ammonia; 0 Nitrite; <5.0 NitrAte (not detectable with API kit).
Hard to see NitrAte with so many water changes. Fed my fish a large chunk of shrimp.

9/14/11 PM 1.00 Ammonia; 0 Nitrite; <5.0 NitrAte
Change 90% of the water. No feeding.

I think I found the culprit for the Ammonia. When I was changing the water, I searched the tank and found more flying tiny bugs and thin worms are on my tank glass. Then I finally turned on my aquarium light (I only turned on the room light previously), then BAM there it was. My tank glass was covered with slim! I took a sponge and wiped across glass and this slim came off. This slim is only visible when I siphoned out the water and water was not touching the glass.

I really need to keep up with my tank maintenance. I had no idea that I needed to clean the glass because I thought only algae can grow on the glass. I had no idea how vibrant this tank was.

Such a relief. I don't want to raise my hope too much, but I don't feel like I'll have any more problems.

That slime may have been a biofilm on the tank that bacteria live in. You may have actually slightly set yourself back a bit

Did a ~75% water change to keep water safe for fish. No fish feeding today. Found tiny flying bugs over the top of the water. There were baby bugs swimming at the top level of the water. I used a net and fished them all out. I'll check again tomorrow and net more when necessary.

9/13/11 PM: 0.50 Ammonia; 0 Nitrite; <5.0 NitrAte (not detectable with API kit).
Hard to see NitrAte with so many water changes. Fed my fish a large chunk of shrimp.

9/14/11 PM 1.00 Ammonia; 0 Nitrite; <5.0 NitrAte
Change 90% of the water. No feeding. Cleaned slim off aquarium glass.

9/15/11 PM 0 Ammonia; 0 NitrIte; NitrAte not measured
Fed fish a large piece of shrimp.

:D I like zeros!

9/16/11 PM ~0.50 Ammonia; 0 NitrIte; NitrAte not measured.

I give up. I'm going to rehome my fish and try fishless cycle with ammonia -_-

I can't see NitrAte if I'm changing my water so frequently.

Back
Top Bottom