My two 20 gals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel R

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have two 20 gals as said in the title. One is a community tank and one is a breeder. The breeder tank has already produced two generations of guppies. I let them get pregnant in the community than put them into the breeder tank. Than when the fry are big enough they go to the community tank with the red tailed shark Cory cats Siamese algae eater and tetras. The community tank is planted and the breeder is bear bottom. I also have a 40 gal community but this thread will be based around my two 20 gals. I'm gonna be changing things around and breeding different fish. Suggestions much appreciated and please subscribe to thread for further updates :)

You have a red tail shark in a 20 gallon tank? I hope you are planning to upgrade him to something larger soon. It should be in something like a 50 at least.

It's hard to suggest when we really do not know what is in your tanks for now. It sounds like you may be pretty heavily stocked as it is. Are you looking for suggestions on things to add to the 20s on top of what you have or are you rehoming some fish first? Sorry I just don't quiet know exactly what you are asking. :oops:

I do love platy, they are great little live-bearers.

Daniel R said:
Hi,
I have two 20 gals as said in the title. One is a community tank and one is a breeder. The breeder tank has already produced two generations of guppies. I let them get pregnant in the community than put them into the breeder tank. Than when the fry are big enough they go to the community tank with the red tailed shark Cory cats Siamese algae eater and tetras. The community tank is planted and the breeder is bear bottom. I also have a 40 gal community but this thread will be based around my two 20 gals. I'm gonna be changing things around and breeding different fish. Suggestions much appreciated and please subscribe to thread for further updates :)

What do you mean changing things around? Are you re-homing fish currently in your 20g community tank? What fish are you planning to start breeding?

No I'm currently deciding where to put fish and where not to. My red tail shark seems fine. He's about 2 inches now but do you really think he needs to be upgraded to my 40?

The SAE needs a 30, and the redtail a 50, and depending on cories you may need something larger also.. And im just going of liveaquaria, so those are the bare minimums

No I'm currently deciding where to put fish and where not to. My red tail shark seems fine. He's about 2 inches now but do you really think he needs to be upgraded to my 40?

No... A red-tail shark needs a 75gal for the long term ... Forget a 40gal:nono:. At 2 inches it's still a juvenile and will tolerate tank mates .. so a 40 will work short-term. As it matures it's territorial aggression will kick in and it will take it out on tank mates. They need a large tank with plenty of DW, plants and rocks to set up territories for it to claim... Then it'll better tolerate tank mates.

Mine is about 2years old, it's 4 inches and it can be a terror during feeding ... And... It can still have 2 more inches to grow.

jcolon said:
No... A red-tail shark needs a 75gal for the long term ... Forget a 40gal:nono:. At 2 inches it's still a juvenile and will tolerate tank mates .. so a 40 will work short-term. As it matures it's territorial aggression will kick in and it will take it out on tank mates. They need a large tank with plenty of DW, plants and rocks to set up territories for it to claim... Then it'll better tolerate tank mates.

Mine is about 2years old, it's 4 inches and it can be a terror during feeding ... And... It can still have 2 more inches to grow.

That explains the death of my other red tail shark which got bigger and than died.

Back
Top Bottom