My under-rated clown pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so the clown pleco recently made a move from my 8 gallon QT to the main tank. [he was getting picked on by the single brichardi that thinks she is building a nest even though she is the only occupant]

Now that he is in the main tank with medium lighting.. MAN what a cool pleco!

he has what looks like hair covering his body and he has a bunch of dazzling colours!!!

I am so impressed with him.. Hope he does well with the transition over to the main tank.

Anyone else have clown plecos? Are they all this cool once under some good lighting?

[of course last night he was hiding on me and I could only see him when he would bolt across the driftwood or through a plant while i was at a distance from the tank]

Mooooose

Yeah, my clown pleco is really cool too! I don't see much of him though, he hides all the time and quickly darts away when I do catch him out. :roll: Really cute fish though.

severum mama said:
Yeah, my clown pleco is really cool too! I don't see much of him though, he hides all the time and quickly darts away when I do catch him out. :roll: Really cute fish though.

Same here Severum Mama. Always hiding during the day, then they come out at night to play. Moon lights or little blue led's are the way to go if you want to see their night life, only drawback is that you won't be able to enjoy their true color since the blue lights aren't that bright.
-Stewie

I just got mine the other day. $3.99 for an adult about 3.5" Long, a great deal although he mostly stays in the same spot, tucked in some coral. I am seriously worried about it not getting enough to eat though because there is not a spot of algea on my tank. I feed the fish flake and sinking algea wafers but he doesnt get to them because he is tucked away. Please help with suggestions. :(

Are you feeding him at night? You could try that. Also, do you have driftwood in the tank? These plecos require it.

I'm not gonna say it will die without it, but planetcatfish.com says that is a main part of their diet. Maybe you can find a small chunk to throw in for him.

I understand that driftwood is a major part of their diet as well. More-so than other plecos. You could get a very small piece without worry about changing your water pH. I posted this thread too soon.. Now my clown pleco has found a really good hiding spots because I didn't see it at all last night or this morning..

Mooooose

Back
Top Bottom