my unexpected 125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
heading out now to hopefully pick up a few supplies for the scrubber. as long as i actually get whats needed ill start a thread tonight.already have the piping (minus the end caps), router, lighting, and fasteners, all i really need is the screen... hopefully its cheap. also very important question i need to figure out the flowrate of my overflows... they have standard 3/4" returns and 1.5" outlets... guess im gonna have to figure that one out

i did some reading. idk how you plan on doing it. 35 gph per gallon of dt only right? thats like 3.5 gph per inch2. you would need 420gph total. i saw one where a guy used what looked like a maxi jet to feed his ats sump water. and made it so the whole ats was a component of the sump and not the sump being the ats.

ha like i have to tell you anything. your the one that got me on it and ive just started reading.

all i know is that flow meters are expensive.

agreed that flow meters are expensive but one isnt needed here in this case. that thread gives you all the necessary formulas for calculating the width of the screen to match the correct flowrate.. and i thought it said 35 gph total...if its 35 gph per gallon of dt...im screwed. so i think ive worked out a way to find real world flowrate of my overflows, what im gonna do is drain one overflow tube, then angle it into a 5g bucket, once ready ill plug my return pump back in, as soon as water starts flowing ill time out 30 seconds. ill measure the resulting amount and itll look like this. say its 1 gallon even, id times that by 2 then times it by 60... there ya go...gph flowrate!! so if my example math is right, 1g/30 seconds translates into 2g/min which is 120 gph...correct me if im wrong

maybe it was 35gph per square inch. i read a guy had 250gph and was about 100gph shy of what he needed. idk it was late last night when i read it.

well due to the severe lack of flow from my mag 5 return pump, i decided to add the skimmer pump on as well, combined im pushing 1150gph, now thats before headloss or anything but still i doubled the flowrate and a bit extra. So now instead of running 1 mag 5 to a T-split and up, now im running 2 pumps seperate with no t-split. guess i shoulda cleaned the piping before seperating the two pumps...they blew algae chunks ALL over the dt.... genius fish thought it was snowing lol. well off to bed to dream about fishies

my tusk poking his head oute water to say hi:)

392671_230326203701868_100001734711521_598477_132813343_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom