My Water is Killing My Fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Bill - it certainly sounds like RO IS the way to go regardless of what my PH is. (again - this really wasn't a ph thread but asking if I should add minerals to Ice Mountain water and complaining about my village water and all its problems.... And the only thing I could sort out as a problem besides the ammonia and yes that is because of chloramine - - is the ph and super hard water ...)

TDS makes sense - Sure. And because it is CLEAR that my village water is terrible (but within ... ahem... ahem ... FDA guidelines according to them....) And because it is EVER changing and not stable.... Well... My problem in a nutshell.

Aquariums & Aquaculture - HM Digital

Go with RO.

(I am sorry but I just don't agree with you that the test is 8ish - it is no where near brown - it is a hot pink/purple)

And anyone who says ph doesn't matter does not keep ph sensitive fish... because they can't.

Thanks!

Below is the original post by me from this thread.

My mistake: Verses rambling all my thoughts and then saying "does anyone have thoughts on this", I should have only asked "do I need to supplement Ice Mountain drinking water with minerals". With the responses I received, I am NOW sure I confused people with what I was asking.

I just wanted to know if I needed to supplement purchased water.

This was NOT a ph thread. But this has turned in to what I see with a lot of AA "advice".

Someone asks a question and it becomes the Spanish Inquisition.

My question was answered. I have now chosen a cheaper RO system than I had researched vs. buying $50.00 worth of Ice Mountain every month. Regardless, I DO need to supplement with minerals. I'm jumping through hoops for every fish I have in every tank I have...

My village water is awful and it is killing my fish.

I do know I am making the right decision for my fish.

Thank you everyone who took the time out of their day to reply.

Please stop replying as I'm quite frustrated now.

Enjoy your fishes!

:banghead: :thanks:

~j

My water is killing my fish. I'm done, I've had it. My ph is way to high - I can't even read the shade of purple it is. My village water also has .50 ammonia from the tap.

It just isn't fair to my fishes. I am finally going to cave and fill only with Ice Mountain drinking water from here on out. It's going to cost me around $50.00 a month to change out just under 1/2 the water in each of my tanks every month from here out with the Ice Mountain. That is 50 gallons. I have to do it slowly to start because it'll be a big change for the fishes I have had for a while - but in the long run, I think less new fish will DIE!

I have thought about a RO system? But with how hard my water is, would it really soften it enough? And they are very expensive too... One that I was looking at for the whole house would cost me $283.00 a month over 12 months. Over a couple more years it would come out cheaper. BUT I think I'm still gambling with quality...??

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? And if the drinking water parameters are spot on (great ph, no ammonia, trites or trates), should I be supplement with fishey minerals? :confused: :confused: I mean if the delivery water is good enough for us to drink, wouldn't it be good enough for fishes? HA HA! Wait! My village says our water is good enough to drink... :ermm:

{{SIGH}}

Janelle

Relax, Janelle!!! Everyone just tries to help & everyone has different opinions- its not meant to be an inquistion! I think you choosen the correct route to take for your situation with your water. As I said before, I would choose RO over my gross city water but its not a reasonable option for me right now so I make do with what I have. Enjoy your fish & hopefully you will encounter some interesting finds at the auction! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom