My wife's cichlid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pendergraft2111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I gave this one to my wife when I started my saltwater tank. It's a beautiful corner 54gallon tank. I'm working on getting her a canopy and she hates cichlids so they gotta go. She wants fancy goldfish so that's what she gets.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110408_213819.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110408_213819.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 140
  • ForumRunner_20110408_213841.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110408_213841.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 155
  • ForumRunner_20110408_213910.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110408_213910.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 153
I gave this one to my wife when I started my saltwater tank. It's a beautiful corner 54gallon tank. I'm working on getting her a canopy and she hates cichlids so they gotta go. She wants fancy goldfish so that's what she gets.

What are you going to do with all the Cichlids?:confused:
And not to offend any Goldfish lovers, but does your wife know how dirty Goldfish are?

Too bad she doesnt like cichlids...that tank is beautiful! I love the DW...I could see fancies in there though...I'm sure it will look fantastic as well

Yah I know goldfish aren't my favorite either ( very dirty) my fluval should be ok though. I'm trying to find someone who might trade the cichlids for some goldfish or supplies. I LOVE the driftwood but she wants new decor to so... I don't think it would work in my other tanks.

pendergraft2111 said:
Yah I know goldfish aren't my favorite either ( very dirty) my fluval should be ok though. I'm trying to find someone who might trade the cichlids for some goldfish or supplies. I LOVE the driftwood but she wants new decor to so... I don't think it would work in my other tanks.

At least she likes aquariums! :)

Now the trick is to get her to actuly clean and take care of it. LOL

my girl begged me to get a tank and said she would at least help with the mantaince. That only lasted mabe a week so now 4 years latter I have a vary nice planted tank that she still dosent touch.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110411_094021.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110411_094021.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 122
  • ForumRunner_20110411_094048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110411_094048.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20110330_120945-1.jpg
    IMG_20110330_120945-1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 112
I wish I had a few words of wisdom to get someone to fallow through with their projects. I'd be rich if I had that answer.
Lots of luck

i really love fancy goldfish but now i know how dirty they are and how much rom they need. i learnt the hard way :(. i had two orandas in a 3 gallon, under the lfs' advice. silly man. *tut* haha.

good luck, it will look really nice:)

i really love fancy goldfish but now i know how dirty they are and how much rom they need. i learnt the hard way :(. i had two orandas in a 3 gallon, under the lfs' advice. silly man. *tut* haha.

good luck, it will look really nice:)

It would be nice if their horrendous advice, was just "silly". But so many ignorant or greedy FS people are doing a lot of damage with their really bad advice.

Nice looking tank, it could still look good with fancy goldfish and some silk plants, must admit though, Goldfish do nothing for me, much prefer trops.

Pete

Well the cichlids are gone. So on to the fancies... she wants a Ryukin and a Red Cap Orand for sure. Still trying to figure out the bioload on a 55 gallon. I have a fluval 305. I was thinking about 8 ( no comets ). We'll see I just cleaned the tank and redid the filter so I have some time.

8 fancies?! Though I don't know anything about the filter...I think that's too many! But wait for more replies...

Finding the bio load for the filter depends on the medeia you use in your filter. I have this same filter I use biomax in 4 chambuers and peat in the bottom two some pollishing pads on top vary high bio load, also depend on plant life if any. Remember to take i n acount how dirty gold fish are add stock to your tank slowly and let the bacteria have a chance to keep up.

I agree with eight being too much. Does your wife know that because of a Goldfish's potential size she would only be able to have a few? The tank might look empty at first, but they should get HUGE. Depending on the species, Goldfish can reach lengths of 6" to 12"! A general idea is 20g for the first GF and 10g for each additional one.

So, you could comfortably house 4 large Goldfish, and probably house 5 with great filtration.

I don't mean to sound rude here, just a lot of people don't know how big Goldfish really should get, wouldn't want to stunt their growth!

Thanks for the advice... I knew they were messy I was just trying to get an idea of where I was headed. As far as she goes my wife has no clue
She just wants goldfish so since I'm almost a grand into my saltwater tank, she can have what she wants....lol I just want to make sure that I'm doing right by the fish. I haven't had goldfish since I was a kid.

Thanks for the advice... I knew they were messy I was just trying to get an idea of where I was headed. As far as she goes my wife has no clue
She just wants goldfish so since I'm almost a grand into my saltwater tank, she can have what she wants....lol I just want to make sure that I'm doing right by the fish. I haven't had goldfish since I was a kid.

Sounds great that you are keeping the fish's well being in mind. I actually very much like Goldfish! They look awesome with their flowing tails and will look stunning when they grow to a large size. People will be surprised, most don't see them grow to full size because of what they house them in.

Back
Top Bottom