my yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
my yellow tang has like little black spots all over it not on hte fins though what is it?

hotskate said:
START DATE OCT. 11th 03
I would suggest you return the tang first off. A 7 day old tank is not ready to support fish as yet and definately not one as sensitive as a tang. Quite honestly you are moving far too quickly and adding animals at an alarming rate that could easily lead to a tank crash. If I am not mistaken you have also just recently added some LR which will greatly impair the water quality until it is properly cured. Please slow down...

To answer your question about the "black spots", it could be a turbellarian problem. Can you post a pic of the affected area?

Cheers
Steve

there flat worms i think ! i read about yellow tangs having issues with them mabe cause they easier to see on them !! have to pull out the bob fenners book and reread that one :)

it could be a turbellarian problem ]

whats that its basicly all ofver the fish not like crazy speraticly

i called up liveaquaria.copm and they said it can be black ich? they said to do a freshwater dip put him in a freshwater bucket for liek 2 min untill it starts getting stressed and they should fall off? ever hear fo that?

its been a month not 7 days
That is still too young for the fast pace in which you are adding animals. Please slow down... I can assure you it is not healthy for the tank.

hotskate said:
i called up liveaquaria.copm and they said it can be black ich?
Black ich = turbellarian worms

they said to do a freshwater dip put him in a freshwater bucket for liek 2 min untill it starts getting stressed and they should fall off? ever hear fo that?
Yes, but I would not bother with a FW dip after the infected fish is in the diplay tank. They are just as much a problem as any other parasitic pest and can migrate to other fish. Setting up a quarantine tank and treating all the fish with hyposalinity will be the surest, least stressful way of eradicating the pest. You will also need to leave the main display tank fishless for 4-6 weeks.

Cheers
Steve

so what should i do can this affect my inverts tho the star hermits or snails?

hotskate said:
so what should i do can this affect my inverts tho the star hermits or snails?

I was told ICK can be carried on snails etc but it cannot feed on them so it will die off in the 4-6 week period even if they are left in there. My tank has been fishless for about 5 weeks now, think I'm going to buy my fish back in this weekend, I can't wait!! I also learned a very hard lesson about setting up a Q tank and not adding anything to my main display unless it has been in the Q tank 2-3 weeks.

Jamal is absolutely correct. The invert population will not be aaffected by ich nor turbellarian worms. Unlike flatwroms, turbellarians will not attack corals or other non-fish life.

Once the fish are in the QT and treatment is properly administered, you will still need to add small bits of food once or twice a week to the main tank for the inverts as well as maintaining the bacterial populations.

Cheers
Steve

yea i need to get a Q tank but cant yet need money
so im going yto have to leave it for now?

hotskate said:
yea i need to get a Q tank but cant yet need money
so im going yto have to leave it for now?
The fish must be treated, the problem will not go away by itself. I can also assure you that continual FW dips will most likely kill the fish before the turbellarian problem goes away.

For a tang and 2 chromis, you would need a 20 gal tank, corner sponge filter, heater and possibley a PH. I am not familar with tank prices in the US but the heater, PH and sponge filter should be less than $50.00.

Cheers
Steve

my cycle was over about 2 and a half weeks ago i wated a week and added stuff

Back
Top Bottom