Mysterious Cory Deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FuzzyRag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 3 cory cats that wound up dead, the water parameters are fine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, between 5 and 10 nitrate). Any ideas?

Current stock list is a 3 spot gourami, and 6 rosey barbs...1 rosie barb doesn't school with the rest btw.

Moved to unhealthy fish.

In addition to Rich's questions, did they all die around the same time? How did you acclimate them?

All died around 1 day after the other. Acclimation - I place the bag in the water to get them used to the temperature for about 5 minutes, then placed them into a net and transfered them to a different bag with water from my fish tank. Held them in that about 10 minutes then released them into the tank. The species, they were albino cory's, and the tank temp is hovering around 79 or 80, I can't seem to get it lower.

curious, did yours die 1 day at a time, like I had all 3 die in a 3 day span.

Is your gravel sharp? I'm not sure if that would've caused a problem if you hadn't had them long. But it could. If your gravel is sharp or if you have alot of mulm buildup in the gravel, cories can get infections of their barbels and that can kill them. If you haven't had them long, then maybe it was just a bad batch from the LFS.

Next time try the longer acclimation mentioned above and see if that works. Albino cories are fairly hardy IMO, so I'm a little confused since your parameters look good.

I think a longer acclimation would help. How long did they live before the first one passed on? Could have been a bad batch as well.

Introduced into tank at the same time, they each lived 1 day after the other....1st 1 day, 2nd died the 2nd day, 3rd died the 3rd day. I have sand so I don't think gravel hurt them = /

Could have been the acclimation or could have been a "bad batch". Just watch your other fish. Going foward try the longer acclimation - that helped me a great deal.

i have lost two julii corries in the last 48 hours as well...

my numbers are great!
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 nitrate
ph 8.0 (same as lfs)

i always dip acclimate...

very frustrating

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom