Mystery fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you took them out? How are they getting enough air, filtration, hiding? I bet they are so stressed. You can feed them anything any other fish would eat like flakes, pellets, and frozen foods.

It's cool I put him back. He is not nearly as stressed as the hour trip home in the five gallon jug I had them in. I figure him to be like a tidal pool fish, so short times of stress should be acceptable to them

I can't do much better with your new photos. Sorry. They may be juveniles or full size; it's impossible to know without a species identification. Nice little fish, regardless. They should do okay on small meaty foods (such as very finely chopped shrimp meat). I doubt they will prove to be too picky in what they eat, but if they refuse dead food, you could try them on newly hatched brine shrimp until they get used to other foods. Be very careful not to overfeed, as things can go downhill very fast in a marine tank if you have even a tiny amount of uneaten food decomposing.

You will have a better chance of identifying after they have settled back in. If they are indeed juveniles, a little extra size would also make identification easier. Jim Van Tassell's website has photos of common Florida gobies, many of which range into the Gulf. Compare your fish with the photos provided there: Florida Gobioidei

Tony

Tony Gill said:
I can't do much better with your new photos. Sorry. They may be juveniles or full size; it's impossible to know without a species identification. Nice little fish, regardless. They should do okay on small meaty foods (such as very finely chopped shrimp meat). I doubt they will prove to be too picky in what they eat, but if they refuse dead food, you could try them on newly hatched brine shrimp until they get used to other foods. Be very careful not to overfeed, as things can go downhill very fast in a marine tank if you have even a tiny amount of uneaten food decomposing.

You will have a better chance of identifying after they have settled back in. If they are indeed juveniles, a little extra size would also make identification easier. Jim Van Tassell's website has photos of common Florida gobies, many of which range into the Gulf. Compare your fish with the photos provided there: Florida Gobioidei

Tony

Thanks, the fish were naked goby's. I caught older ones and they started laying eggs and the eggs hatched all in about five days. d:)

Back
Top Bottom