Mystery fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikenhecker1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have three new fishes that I caught under a rock and I think they are bleenies.

Attachments

• image-251577882.jpg
    image-251577882.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 177
  • image-589190326.jpg
    image-589190326.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 181
I'm pretty sure it's a bleeny. I'm also not sure how old they are. I think I have a male and two females cause one is darker and always chasing the others.

It's spelled blenny. They have the same shape of many gobies. They don't look similar to any blenny except the barnacle blenny, but they have completely different colorations. Why do you think it's a blenny?

I agree. The barnacle bleeny is the best likeness I have seen. They are about an inch and a half long. And they just dart around on the rocks.

Yes, you will definitely need better photos. I think they are gobies though (at least based on the right hand photo), and perhaps a species of Gobiosoma. (When I say Gobiosoma, I mean the relatively drab species, such as G. bosc, rather than the cleaner gobies which are more correctly classified in the genus Elacatinus).

Tony

Tony Gill said:
Yes, you will definitely need better photos. I think they are gobies though (at least based on the right hand photo), and perhaps a species of Gobiosoma. (When I say Gobiosoma, I mean the relatively drab species, such as G. bosc, rather than the cleaner gobies which are more correctly classified in the genus Elacatinus).

Tony

Thank you. I will be home soon to take better photo. I was curious because they have traits of both. I thought goby's were shorter and fatter and these are so small. I will add a size comparison as well.

Gobies (Gobiidae) and blennies (Bleniidae), despite not being particularly closely related, are often confused. Although blennies tend to be more elongate, there's a fair range of variation in body shape in both families. Useful characters for telling the two apart include: pelvic fins usually positioned below the pectoral fins and united into a disc in gobies (versus positioned in front of the pectoral fins and consisting of just a couple of rays, which are not united into a disc in blennies); usually two separate dorsal fins in gobies (versus usually a single dorsal fin in blennies, though this is sometimes notched between the spinous and soft parts of the fin); scales usually present in gobies - though absent in some gobies, such as Gobiosoma (versus scales absent in true blennies (Blenniidae), though scales are present some of the other blenny families); no lateral line on body (versus usually present at least on the front part of the body in blennies). There is no shortage of exceptions to these characters, but they will work for the vast majority of species.

Tony

These things won't stay still long enough for that close of a look but here are some pics that might help. Idk I already put it back in the tank.

It's definitely a goby. You can't see in the pic but it has two dorsal fins. I wonder if they are juveniles.

What should I feed the little guys? I have no clue. I am a new. These are my first sw fish

Back
Top Bottom