Mystery Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquashen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

This fish pictured was born in my aquarium over the summer. I have no idea what kind of male swordtail this would be. None of the other fish have markings exactly like this. I do have a number of pineapple swordtails and I used to have some male black swordtails. I also have mollies and platys in the same tank. I believe one of the parents is a pineapple swordtail. What do I have here? Thanks!

Attachments

• mutantfish1.jpg
    mutantfish1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 89
idk what it is but i know that its mother probably held sperm for an extended period of time before you got her.

Is that the actual fish? If so, it's probably just a hodgepodge of the other swordtails.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, this is the actual fish. I am going to get some very interesting looking offspring from this male specimen.

Hold on- whoa- how'd you get the photo!? :)

What I mean is how did you get it on the white background, perfect clarity, etc

I don't have a background attached to the back of the aquarium and my walls are white. I had to be very patient because the fish kept moving around the tank. I blew up the photo and this is the result. Again, I had to take dozens of photos to get one that looked nice and clear.

Wow that's a really good shot! I am in no way that patient

By far do I know much but I'd ask if you have guppy/endler hybrid? The front shape looks a lot like guppy, the metallic looks like an endler color. Either way I sure hope he breeds, he's beautiful.

By far do I know much but I'd ask if you have guppy/endler hybrid? The front shape looks a lot like guppy, the metallic looks like an endler color. Either way I sure hope he breeds, he's beautiful.

That's a swordtail- not a guppy or endler, an entirely different livebearer species

Rephrase my 1st response

That's a swordtail- not a guppy or endler, an entirely different livebearer species

Hi there, i think it came across that i didnt know it was a swordtail. what i was wondering is if it was breed by a swordtail and a hybrid endler. Not sure if that is possible or not, i dont know enough to say much for sure. I normally do let people know i am quite new and still learning a lot every day about the fish i have, let alone fish i havent had. I should not put my 2 ¢ in sometimes.. i do apologize...

Oh don't apologize! I thought that rams were actually like ram sheep when I was new! Mistakes are forgivable here and no one knows all!
Plates and swordtails interbreed and guppies and mollies.

Thank you for understanding. Now that's a good fun fact

You can google your pic. Drag it up to the search bar on chrome and search for it and put swordtail in the description. You've a perfect pic for it

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have a background attached to the back of the aquarium and my walls are white. I had to be very patient because the fish kept moving around the tank. I blew up the photo and this is the result. Again, I had to take dozens of photos to get one that looked nice and clear.

Yup, the key to getting good fish pictures is to take A LOT of them. I can never remember to delete all the bad pics :)

Back
Top Bottom