Mystery fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that I was using as a quarantine tank for some fish I had got online. I had taken the fish out of this tank about a week ago and added to the main tank. I should note that the fish I had in quarantine was juvenile fish that I believe too young to breed. Those fish included a singular angelfish with about a quarter size body, and five "polar blue" parrot cichlids (looks like a convict parrot Cross of some kind) those was approximately 3/4" to 1" Long.
The tank has been sitting with just an air filter running, no lights, and I had turned the heater off. I started getting the tank set back up as I am expecting another shipment of fish next week. Then to my surprise while I was letting things settle I noticed a fry! The thing is tiny and I can't see it being very old at all. I don't know if it is possible that I got the fry with the quarantine fish and just never noticed it or if it could possibly be the fry of the blue parrot convict cichlid things. Lol

Anyway I found it very exciting and thought I would like to share with fellow crazy fish people. I am really looking forward to finding out what this little fish is.

Edit: while trying to photo the fry I discovered there are actually two of them.

Sorry for the bad pics. 20210117_015909.jpg20210117_015652.jpg20210117_014927.jpg20210117_015027.jpg

Crazy! Alot of regular male blood parrots are sterile. I don't know about the polar blue ones. Maybe it came with your order? Seems like it'd be bigger by now tho if that was the case. I guess you'll know in a couple of weeks, lol

Crazy! Alot of regular male blood parrots are sterile. I don't know about the polar blue ones. Maybe it came with your order? Seems like it'd be bigger by now tho if that was the case. I guess you'll know in a couple of weeks, lol
That's what I was thinking also. It looks too young to have came in shipping lol. But if not I can't think of what it could be. It's exciting though!
I had something similar happened once years ago where I had a fry pop up in my snail tank. It was a goldfish fry that hitchhiked over somehow. Either in my siphon or on some duckweed I transferred over.

Edit. It that made me think. I have a plastic plant I swapped out of the tank with one in another tank when I moved the other fish out also. It's possible they where on it as eggs. That means it could be giant danios or tiger bards if it came from that tank. [emoji848]

Haha! That's prob it. I hitchhiker. I've had fry a couple of times in my tank and never knew it until they were about half inch long. They are good about hiding to keep from becoming a snack

I think the number is up to 5.
I'm going to try and hatch some bbs.

That is an exciting find! Check out boiled egg, yolk run through a sieve, tiny amount for the new babies, liquid fish foods and Hikari First Bites are small. Infusoria you can make up like with a potato (or lettuce), or green water. Often people sell Vinegar Eels. Microworms are pretty easy too. Someone might be local for those as well. Frozen foods are also like Rotifers, and baby Brine shrimp, Cyclops, Daphnia.

Last edited:
That is an exciting find! Check out boiled egg, yolk run through a sieve, tiny amount for the new babies, liquid fish foods and Hikari First Bites are small. Infusoria you can make up like with a potato (or lettuce), or green water. Often people sell Vinegar Eels. Microworms are pretty easy too. Someone might be local for those as well. Frozen foods are also like Rotifers, and baby Brine shrimp, Cyclops, Daphnia.

Thanks for all the tips! They are fun to watch grow.

Back
Top Bottom