Mystery Guest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwardale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. My planted aquarium has been up about a week and a half. No fish yet, just trying to get a grasp on my parameters before I risk someone's life, when lo' and behold, I spy a trespasser. Is this little guy a friend or foe? He sure does get around! Thanks! He's located above the anubia on the glass. Looks like he might have a shell, but it's not fully formed. First image is from his underbelly as he moves along the glass. Second image is from the top showing his shell. :thanks:

photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Just a pond snail. They can be invasive and eat your plants. You could get something to eat the snails.

Unless you don't mind snails this isn't problem. If they eat the plants too fast just rinse them everyday for about a week

I had one on my plants when I set my tank up about a month and a half ago and I left it thinking no biggie and now I have so many I had to get some assassin snails just to try and keep the numbers down! They haven't really touched my plants but have become an eyesore with eggs everywhere and I can't help but see at least 15-20 every time I look in my tank. So not really bad but they will reproduce like crazy so just kind of a personal preference.

I too acquired some tag alongs on my java moss... There were three surviving ramshorn snails and one pond snail. I did a lot of research to figure out what they were and it turns out that ramshorn snails don't generally eat live plants, rather, they eat all the dead, decaying parts of them. They also eat algae like mad and even that strange crud that forms on the air stone hose. They eat everything undesirable in your tank. Yes, they do poop and they can potentially breed like mad, but the positive side is that they keep the glass and plants looking spectacular! No need to clean the tank, just gravel vacuum!
Their poop is easier for your bio filter to convert, as well. I've had the three ramshorns for over a month and I've only found 5 tiny baby snail specs that I did remove. I'm pretty sure that my peppered Cory is eating all of the eggs in the floating plants and the other cories are getting the ones in the other parts of the tank, so no snail explosion yet. So far I love them as they are fun to watch and they do such a great service!

As for the pond snail, I read they eat plants, so I put it in an unplanted tank. I don't see any babies there at all so far.

Both these snails are hermaphrodites, which is why they can breed so much more prolifically.
I'm not sure what you have there, but if you find it won't eat plants, you will probably find him to be a good friend.

Mystery Guest (s)

Thank you for the replies. Seems he was lonely, so now there are two, but they don't seem to be eating the plants. Will continue to observe for now. I guess that the snails are partial to cucumber and leaving a slice out overnight will corral them for removal if one is inclined. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom