Mystery illness after adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meghanlynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I added 6 cory catfish and 2 barbs to my tank 6 weeks ago and am assuming one of them was sick. Since then all 6 corys have died as well as one of my beloved acara and bolivian rams. This last week, another acara looks like he is struggling in the same way and I'm heartbroken and stumped. Prior to adding the new fish 6 weeks ago, my tank has been healthy.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
6 corys that died (new fish) had no symptoms that I saw.
The acara looked fine visually (no fungus, growths or worms that I could see), but the first one that died (and now the second that is exhibiting symptoms) stopped eating, was/is breathing fast/gasping for air and show reduced activity / laziness. I've had them for 1 year.
The ram that died was the weak one of the 3, and she seemed listless for a day or two and then was gone.

2~What are your tank parameters?
Temperature is always 78.
I have always used test strips so I don't have specific values. That said, nitrites, nitrates, PH always have read normal/safe, even when the fish started getting sick.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
55 gallon corner tank. Setup for a year and a half.

4~What type of filtration are you using?
Fluval 306 canister filter.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
23 fish total
1 acara that is sick
1 acara that seems fine
12 barbs with no symptoms
7 danios with no symptoms
2 bolivian rams with no symptoms

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I do a 25% water change every Friday without fail.
I have never vacuumed my gravel.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
4 barbs are the first fish ever, so 1.5 years
2 acara - 1 year
6 barbs 8 months
2 barbs - 6 weeks
2 rams - 8 months
7 danios - 1 year

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Only new addition to the tank was fish, 6 weeks ago:
6 cory catfish - all died
2 barbs - fine

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Pellets, a mixture of community and larger ciclid specific
Frozen shrimp brine 1 or 2 times per week

I should add that I treated with 3 doses of Kanaplex 2 weeks ago and this week I have done 2 doses of Paraguard, planning to dose once more tomorrow. I'm not sure if doing this has created more of a problem/ stress.

So sad to watch this happen and not be able to diagnose and fix. Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
Thank you!

Update

The second acara died over night. So awful. I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Any advice would so be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom