mystery snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all

I have a ten gallon tank that should be almost done cycleing (fishless!!) and i want to breed mystery snails. Does anyone have any information on them? Ive spent about four hours on researching them and found all i can find without asking personaly. I know a little about diet, water conditions, and breeding. But hearing it from people on here will reinsure it and i might learn another thing or two.

Im pretty sure it will just be the snails in my tank. I know that changes some stuff for the better.

I was hoping for a little bit of specifics but thanks alex:p

ive never kept rcs,but id guess that they would be fine.just stay away from ghost shrimp.they ate my snails.

Ghost shrimp ate your snails???

Are you talking baby snails?

yeah,im not sure what kind they were(the snails)but they were about 5-10 mm long,and the ghost shrimp would flip them over and eat the insides

Thats crazy!

Honestly i have an odd fasination of watching preditor fish eat... Kinda weird i know.

Anyways, it also could be that the snails were dead. Or there was not enough algea for them all.

Nope! Not at all. The lay dozens apon dozens of eggs. Its really quite amazing.

momo said:
Nope! Not at all. The lay dozens apon dozens of eggs. Its really quite amazing.

Does the eggs hatch? I had a couple mystery snails that laid eggs but never hatched.

Yes, they do hatch.

There are alot of factors that could contribute to them not hatching. One is, you may not of had a male. Females can lay eggs but malea need to fertilize them. Another is the air may nit be moist enough. Or vise versa. Plus the eggs can drown if covered in water.

I see. Maybe my hot lights fried the eggs. In my case that is good. That's good to know. I only have one now and I won't have to worry about it multiplying by itself. I also thought it was asexual.

Its a common misconception. Mystery snails are sexual.

As to the lights frying them, most mystery snails will lay there eggs close the the lights because the heat evaps the water and makes the air more moist in the area.

Up to what temp can the eggs tolerate? I need to open the canopy to cool down the lights or my tank's temp will increase.

I dont know specific temp but if your worried about your like roasting them (because it seems like you have a hefty light) some people encourGe you to take them out and place them on a warm moist paper towel in a container. I cant remember if it would be an open or closed container. Im thinking closed. But youd need to keep it warm.

Keep it moist using tank water and light to keep it warm?

Back
Top Bottom