Mystery snails what is wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppylove85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so this is my second attempt at keeping 2 mystery snails. One floated and died after3 days. Now second one won't come out so i placed him temporarily in a bowl with tank water.

At first they were both active and seemed happy.
I am not new to the hobby...but snails i never really tried to keep. My daughter loves them and im sure will notice they are gone again.

Tank is 20 long
Filter ehim classic
Planted
Cycled since may
Lights are on 4 hours or less a day.
I dose excel once a month
Wc weekly 20 to 40%

Tank mates
Male and female swordtail
Glow light tetra x10
1 female guppy

A few ramshorn snails as well so wouldn't they be affected?

Not sure why they are not thriving??
Tips tricks ideas?

I haven't seen any harassing from the fish but i would guess it might be swordtail.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO it really just depends on the snail.

I've had some that never come out much, yet still alive, and others that cruise the tank all day and night.

Edit: you could also observe and see if any fish are picking on the snail causing it to hide.

Caleb

The same thing is happening to me in my tank. My platys are constantly pecking at them and forcing them to hide. They aren't hungry because I feed them twice a day. What could I do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The same thing is happening to me in my tank. My platys are constantly pecking at them and forcing them to hide. They aren't hungry because I feed them twice a day. What could I do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Only way to stop aggression is to remove it.

Caleb

I think it took two weeks for the fish to settle down and ignore my snails. The angelfish were fine, the loaches had half a go but it was the mollies and barbs that were the worse.

Thanks for all the input. I think i will just put my snails in my new shrimp tank build. Since they are clearly unhappy in the community.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom