Mythbusters and removing aquarium stains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbybea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any Mythbusters fans out there? I was able to purchase a nice deal for a very large aquarium I had my eye on and found it in Craiglist. Anyway, the tank was stained so bad the family was convinced it would never be cleaned. I immediately took it home for 1/5th of its valued price. I began looking at all sorts of ideas on how to rid myself of these stains and after fours days of trying I became convinced the family who sold me the tank were in fact onto something. Then I remembered the old pick up truck shining episode of Mythbusters that Coke won over the professional products in shinning chrome, cleaning paint, and much more. What came in second was toothpaste. Both are food grade. Well, I took a green rough dish scratch pad from the kitchen and soaked it in water and epson salt mixture for a few minutes and then spread toothpaste on it and began caking the entire inside tank with Collgate total. I let it dry for a few hours as I worked grading some papers forgetting that a very large tank sat on my kitchen table until I came in for more tea being another hot day in Florida. I then popped open a can of coke and poured the entire can in the tank and began washing off the dried toothpaste leaving a fantastic shine on pure glass. To make sure I was not being fooled with some sort of wax leftover from the coke and toothpaste I rinsed it well.

I am simply amazed of how truly well it worked. Of all things, Epson salt, Colgate, and Coke outperformed everything for an entire week of trying. I mean, not two tries, or scrubbing until my elbows fall off, just spread, dry, and wash off with a dishcloth.

Makes sense, you can de-limescale a toilet with Coke too and shine silver with ketchup :D Makes you wonder what it does to your insides lol

This is excellent news! I've had plenty of interest in buying on craigslist and I always worr that I might not be able to remove those stains. Looks like I'll be able to! (y)

Good to know for future reference... As i now have MTS and did so well on Craigslist with the first tank.

Back
Top Bottom