Name that African

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been through every Hap and Peacock profile on cichlid-forum and I can not positively ID this fish. I've found characteristics that are similar, but none that are a dead on match. I've also found MANY fish that I would love to keep. :lol: Can anyone help me ID this guy?

I'm sorry for the poor picture quality. This was taken during a pwc next to an airstone. That's why all the lines are on the pic. I'm looking for an ID on the one in the center. Obviously the others are a Lab and Cobalt. Thanks!

I'll do some digging too, but he does look like a combo of a peacock and a hap. Very interesting looking guy.

Do you have a link JDogg? I just tried a quick search and the one I found doesn't have the bold coloration like mine and the blueness to the top fin.

::edit:: I just found another pic. That's EXACTLY what it is. I can't believe Cichlid Forum and Malawi Mayhem neither one had this one profiled. Thanks a million! I have been searching for days now.

Fishyfanatic said:
Do you have a link JDogg? I just tried a quick search and the one I found doesn't have the bold coloration like mine and the blueness to the top fin.

::edit:: I just found another pic. That's EXACTLY what it is. I can't believe Cichlid Forum and Malawi Mayhem neither one had this one profiled. Thanks a million! I have been searching for days now.
i knew i saw a fish like that before... i saw him on a post on my local fish club's forum HERE

O ALX O said:
Fishyfanatic said:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1365 :D

Doesn't look like that one. Mine has more greenish/brown than teal. That pic is misleading since it doesn't show what most of them look like. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Fishyfanatic said:
O ALX O said:
Fishyfanatic said:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1365 :D

Doesn't look like that one. Mine has more greenish/brown than teal. That pic is misleading since it doesn't show what most of them look like. No wonder I couldn't find it.
according to that link they are the same species as a red empress, so i am guessing that species comes in many different colorations

Yes, that is one thing about Africans. The coloration is very misleading sometimes. :) I just wish they had a pic that resembled mine in the profile. I looked at every single sub picture on every hap and peacock listed on that site. For some that looked similar I would cross reference to another site. It's been a LONG couple of days. This is great that I now know for certain what he is. He has been breeding like crazy with the female (those are impossible to determine the specie, I just know that they are the same because they came from the same breeding tank from the breeder). You guys are wonderful!

Rofl. Too true that africans can have many color variations. Always nice to have people that have seen the fish before.

this is exactly why i didnt get africans. theres so many dif types and dif categories of them. so much to kno about which ones can go with which. i regret it somewiaht tho because i htink their someof the nicest looking fish u can keep. one day in the future i will start a 3rd tank and it will be a pure african dedicated tank. onething i def beleive to be true, cichlids r the best fish to keep, whether it be africans or sa's or new worlds or dwarfs...or any other type.

Africans are excellent fish. It's just that the lfs had them listed as one name and even had a picture with it so I just assumed it was correct. Mbuna are easier to ID since their coloration does not vary as much as Haps and Peacocks.

Back
Top Bottom