Name that plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
replacing just the bulb is not going to do much. Florescent bulbs of a fixed length and diameter have standard wattage. The only thing adjustable is the sprectrum (or more accurately, color temperature) but your bulb is fine for growing plants.

I would recommend getting a dual t8 fixture if you are looking for long term success with low and medium light plants. 15W over a 20 is barely adequate for most low light plants.

You cannot buy a higher watt bulb for that fixture. That is what I am saying. Fluorescents aren't like incandescents. Each fixture holds a specific wattage bulb.

Ok I see. I can't buy a higher wattage. Any suggestions on brand and where to buy a dual bulb fixture. And that would give me 30 Watts right

If you bought a dual T8 fixture, it would be 30 watts.

You can pick up just about any dual t8 fixture from most LFSs.

Yes, good call. I am sure you could find a good deal on a dual t8 on Amazon.

If you want to get into medium/high light, consider a dual t5ho fixture... but it will require some additional fertilization and perhaps CO2 or glutaraldehyde supplementation for long term success.

sure looks like a variant of it to me. Does not look like an aquatic plant with that woody stem.

I'll take your word for it. Just when I looked up mondo grass it looks like all the blades start at the base. Whereas this one the blade are coming off the stalk.

Most true water plants with the exception of anubias fall over and can't hold themselves upright when taken out of water. Land/bog plants on the other hand can stay in an upright position when taken out of water. Looks like those stems can hold themselves upright out of water, am I correct? If so it is a type of bog plant not a true aquatic plant.

I'm going to buy something else in its place. Someone said something about a plant that closes up in the dark and opens up when you turn the lights on?

Did it look like a little palm when you first got it? Stiff stems with little grassy type leaves going up the stem? If so that is probably a Bella palm, think that is the correct name. They often sell them as aquatic plants and they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom