Name that plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey cool thanks I will look into buying that one. It comes with two different bulbs one I'm guessing is for the plants. I'll have to measure my lid to make sure its 24"

green temple is the plant the person said opens up and closes?

This is a link to show what narrowleaf green temple looks like. I have narrowleaf green temple in my goldie tanks and the leaves are much most substantial or strappy than the ones on your pic's. Palm leaves are narrow especially on young plants. And green temple doesn't close up at night.

The Temple Plant « A Practical Fishkeeping Blog

Also forgot to add that green temple and narrowleaf green temple can't stand up on their own when out of the water. I'd say you got a baby bella palm.

Yeah that's what he said be said he want sure if that was what it was but its looks close he said.

someone figured it out.
Hygophilia

Hey cool thanks I will look into buying that one. It comes with two different bulbs one I'm guessing is for the plants. I'll have to measure my lid to make sure its 24"

Considering you could pay $12-$20 per bulb, this is a good deal for the plants you already have.

Yeah that's what he said be said he want sure if that was what it was but its looks close he said.

someone figured it out.
Hygophilia

Hygophilia is green temple and it can not stand straight up and support it's own weight out of water as you said this plant could. Therefore it is not Hygophilia.

I haven't a clue. I just want to find some more plants for the aquarium. If I buy the light that was suggested will I be able to have high light plants?

Hygophilia is green temple and it can not stand straight up and support it's own weight out of water as you said this plant could. Therefore it is not Hygophilia.

@rivercats - The reason I mentioned Hygro was because zimmanski posted this pic as a suggestion on a nearly identical thread. Dual threads can be confusing.

Attachments

• image-3057826111.jpg
    image-3057826111.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 47
I hate dual threads and posted on the other one to Zim. I've been working with plants for a very long time and one of the best ways to tell the difference between bog/land plants and aquatic plants is that true aquatic plants can't support their weight out of the water (with the exception of anubia) whereas bog/land plant are able to stand and retain their height/shape and are rigid. Aquatic plants don't need to have rigid stems or leaves as water supports them and keeps them boyant.

It's not mondo grass. Mondo grass is a rosette plant, and this plant is clearly a stem plant.

Also, most all hygrophila sp. can grow emergent. Here's a bush of the stuff. That's not polysperma or corymbosa either, as the leaves look too narrow. If I had to guess, I would say that it's hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia'.

I hate dual threads and posted on the other one to Zim. I've been working with plants for a very long time and one of the best ways to tell the difference between bog/land plants and aquatic plants is that true aquatic plants can't support their weight out of the water (with the exception of anubia) whereas bog/land plant are able to stand and retain their height/shape and are rigid. Aquatic plants don't need to have rigid stems or leaves as water supports them and keeps them boyant.

The issue with that statement is that it assumes that a plant will only have one morphology. In fact, many plants can adjust their physiology to adapt to semi-aquatic or terrestrial life. One of the more important changes that plants will do is make themselves more rigid so that they can grow emergent.

Ahhh okay my mistake. You are a wealth of information aren't you?! Thanks, Thats pretty interesting, well after looking up some stuff I'm nearly positive I have hygro corymbosa or compacta and it can support its weight, just to add to your list haha. And op that's my suggestion, hygro corymbosa is pretty neat.

Hygrophila Compacta "Augustifolia" is the one that has very narrow leaves. Narrowleaf like I have has somewhat narrow leaves.

Check out this thread its a good one. Check out the 2nd picture how it looks underwater but look farther down of it out of water and look how soft or floppy the main stem looks. Anybody has Hygrophila corymbosa (Giant hygro)? I have a question

Is your stem totally rigid out of water? Even Fort noticed the stem. Ferns are often sold in fish stores as aquatic plant. A stem in emmersed growth would be rigid because its been grown with its stems/leaves above water but once it changes to it submersed form the leaves and stems get soft as they no longer need to support themselves.

I have tried to clean up the threads a little bit. Please keep conversation on topic for the thread title as best as you can.

Back
Top Bottom