nano lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that's a ton better for plants then the spiral ones. That's a decent bulb and you sould be able to grow some plants. What types of plants do you have? If the tank isn't planted, then the lighting you have now is sufficient. But since you've posted this in the planted forum, I'm guessing it's planted lol.

that's what i thought, but it didn't say for freshwater plants anywhere, and i don't want to be growing a nice algae farm.

I only saw enhancing the color of plants, but since this tank is so small, it should be okay light for lowish light plants.

I would rather something that would put me at high lighting. I am making a diy hood, with 4 "cfl screw in" lights, is there another way to put me at high lighting?

I heard that the "u" shaped bulbs are better for plants and put mire light into the tank rather then having it shine all over the place. I also heard that the whole watts thing is out dated...

I'm not so sure about that. I have a 13 watt over a 5.5 with just my java moss, no fish, it is in a clip on lamp. When I went to CFL, I got major algae problems, but super growth on my wad of moss. The light is very intense.

I know I have used the screw in bulbs with good (and bad) results lol, I was just looking for something with a little more power to try and get high lighting.

Coralife makes a mini T5 with 2 6 watt bulbs, It is 11" long. It is a 10,000k and acintic, I suppost you could swap out the acintic and add a 2nd 10,000k. No doubt that would be super bright, efficient and I believe it is under $100.

BrightEyes_n_BushyTails said:
Coralife makes a mini T5 with 2 6 watt bulbs, It is 11" long. It is a 10,000k and acintic, I suppost you could swap out the acintic and add a 2nd 10,000k. No doubt that would be super bright, efficient and I believe it is under $100.

I think I saw that model for $45 bucks online somewhere.

I will have to look into that, I already have the parts for a 4 bulb cfl fixture, at 52 watts, I'm pretty sure that is enough to put me near high lighting...

Whoa! Do not put that 50 something watt light over a 5 g. You'll have so many algae problems and all. Don't, unless you have pressurized co2. I think 11-14 or even 15 watts will be good.

I am planning on running co2, and dosing excel if necessary. Its a diy light/hood so I could go with 2, 11 or 13 watt cfl bulbs, or 4, 11 or 13 watt bulbs. I would like to be able to grow a nice carpet of HC.

zach_1_6 said:
I am planning on running co2, and dosing excel if necessary. Its a diy light/hood so I could go with 2, 11 or 13 watt cfl bulbs, or 4, 11 or 13 watt bulbs. I would like to be able to grow a nice carpet of HC.

Pressurized co2 or diy?

I'd recommend the pressurized one since you have both available. Diy can be a pain in the butt and not stable, leading to algae.

I used 2 cfls, with diy co2 a while back on a 10 gal and I didn't have too bad of a problem with algae, I'm just debating if I want to run the pressurized on my 65 gal or the 5

I'd use the pressurized on the 65 and diy on the 5. You won't have too many problems with it in such a small tank. But if you used the diy on a 65, you'll have Algae issues

Back
Top Bottom