Nano MacroAlgae 5G Chi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
This little tank is set up with Macro Algaes. A couple of snails, 2 Astrea and several dwarf Ceriths, and a

60074-albums13960-picture67374.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67375.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67376.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67214.jpg

This rock has a algae outbreak and came this way from the store. The snails cleaned it up a lot.

There is a shaving brush of some sort, Codium, Red Gracilaria, Ogo Macro Algae (Gracilaria parvispora), Red Macro Algae, ruffled. Halimeda.

Turtle Grass shoot.

A bristleworm of some sort unknown if it is good or bad about an inch long and a mm body plus legs.

Some Pineapple sponges maybe 15, in a bunch of the Ruffled Red Macroalgae.

A Red Trumpet or a Candy Cane and a Green or Teal Trumpet. The red Ruffled algae stuck to the CandyCane and I just pulled it off. The Pineapple sponges grew in what seemed like over night, after missing almost a whole day of lighting in the Ruffled Macro Algae, so after wrestling around trying to get it to stick into the rock I may have knocked off some of the Pineapple Sponges.

I heard they grow in low to no light.

Last edited:
This tank has no filter and low feeding, I just have a bubbler in there. I was getting ready to set up a little HOB filter but it keeps sticking and I am gonna need to clean it out again. I think I have a little nano heater.

A Gooseneck light with a 10W 50/50 Aqueon compact cfl.

And at least 1 Stomata snail.

There is some Fern Calurpa and some Grape Calerpa in my MacroAlgae vase and I think I will add it into the 5G.

Last edited:
You should look into some blue scroll, by far my favorite macro, looks amazing once it starts growing.

You should look into some blue scroll, by far my favorite macro, looks amazing once it starts growing.

That is not the same as the plain brown Potato scroll right? The images pics, make that stuff look really interesting. I like the different texture.

Heck half the things I though looked so cool were nuisance algaes, so I am still learning. lol.

So far I have bought most all of them I could find since they are not too expensive. But not very many available. Online I have been waiting for a few to buy, but they have been unavailable.

I think I will make a special request for a couple and see if John at Reef Cleaners can look around for an extra one or two things for me. ;)

Pretty soon I will be rearranging the tank a little more and adding a neat rock I have.

Should I be using little frag or rubble pieces to glue these down? It shaded my red coral when it stuck onto it and it is very unhappy right now.

I guess I shouldn't much anymore, but, I fed a little and there were so many Bristleworms hanging out and slithering into and around the algae covered rock and in my bigger rock!!! YIKES! And Yuk. I don't want to get any Bristles in my hand.

It was suggested to get a 6 Line Wrasse.

Good Idea or bad idea?

They're harmless. That sixline won't be happy in a 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only fireworm is Hermodice carunculata and it's rarely found in our tanks. Yes bristle worms have bristles but as long as you don't touch them you're fine. No need to get a fish that probably won't eat most of them.

I hate to be a whiner, but I don't want to grab some thing in there and get one in the finger.

Any other ideas?

I don't want an unnecessary fish or to keep a fish which will not get along in the tank due to it's size. The lfs worker said it would be fine, that is why I was wondering about it. After checking a little more I can see a 5G would not be a suitable home, nor would the 15G. That is disappointing because it is a very beautiful fish.

The Arrow Crab was also suggested but that they get too large and can be aggressive as they get older.

Usually the worms retract into the rock long before you can touch them :). I understand your fear though but really I don't think you have anything to worry about

Back
Top Bottom