Nano newbie. Guidance needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this the best way to start out in salt water? I'm not seeing a lot of articles specifically for nanos out there. I'm wanting to do a 10 gallon. I know smaller tanks are harder to keep balanced, but going any larger starting out scares me. Cost is a concern. I'm probably going to spend the most on lighting. So a list of items needed to get set up and start my cycle would be awesome!

My 10 Gallon has cost me around $150 with lights, livestock and all. Just know what corners you can cut. Your gonna need a powerhead, heater, HOB filter, get a API test kit for your cycle, Dont buy live sand, buy 8-10 pounds of dry rock and a few pounds of "live" rock. By 1 raw table shrimp from the store, wrap it in cheese mess or pantyhose. Start testing for ammonia within the next few days

My 10 Gallon has cost me around $150 with lights, livestock and all. Just know what corners you can cut. Your gonna need a powerhead, heater, HOB filter, get a API test kit for your cycle, Dont buy live sand, buy 8-10 pounds of dry rock and a few pounds of "live" rock. By 1 raw table shrimp from the store, wrap it in cheese mess or pantyhose. Start testing for ammonia within the next few days

In this hobby, there are no corners you can cut.
In the long term, everything you try to cheat will come back to you.

It costs much more then that unfortunately.

Definately don't cut corners on filtration. An aqua clear 30 would be great choice. Also plan on buying a ro/di water from your lfs or buying a unit. Will this be a reef?

Ive found plenty of corners to cut in this hobby lol, can you give me a few examples?

When you cut on RODI, you get algae.
Cheap lights, can't support the right things, wrong spectrums.
Underrated filtration, dirty tanks.
Base level test kits? Inaccurate readings, harmful levels, lose stock.
It will catch up to you. It takes time to learn how some things work.

I was assuming around $300 to get started is a good goal. Reef yes....slowly and carefully. Is 6 months the norm before adding livestock? Is a refractometer recommend at the start up also?

I was assuming around $300 to get started is a good goal. Reef yes....slowly and carefully. Is 6 months the norm before adding livestock? Is a refractometer recommend at the start up also?

In that case, your on a great track.
Here is what I recommend to people wanting to start a 10. Those of which stayed on this forum, always worked out.

Lighting- Par38 Bulb from Reef Koi or Coral Compulsion. $80 + Architects lamp from target or walmart $7-$8

Powerheads- 2x Koralia 240's...
Better then one 420, to get even flow.

Rock- 10lbs of Base- 1-2lbs or Live

Sand-
Sand Bed Calculator | Marine Depot

Heater- Simple 50 or 100w Heater. $20

Filter- AC70 or 30. 70 will give you much more room. $50

A refractometer is a must. I suggest you read up on the different methods of cycling. 6 months is much to long.

Great! Well no, not 6 months for my cycle to complete. I've just read not to add livestock to salt water tanks "too early". I cycle fishless as a rule. Ok, potential dumb question, Can I use media from my freshwater tank to seed this new tank?

No, the bacteria are different. As far as adding livestock goes, your ok to add a fish once the cycle is complete just go slow and space out additions by a month or so at first so the bb can keep up with the bio load.

Back
Top Bottom