Nano Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm getting a 4 gallon Nano Tank which I intend to set up as a planted tank in my bedroom. It's lit & comes with a pretty basic, internal filter. Whilst I intend to keep it as a planted tank, if I added a heater, would anyone suggest any suitable fish/invertebrates I could home in it?

If you're able to find them, there are some very small rasboras that max out at under an inch, like Boraras brigittae and Boraras merah (there are other species in the genus too). Or, you could try a group of celestial pearl danios. If you want a real challenge, check out licorice gouramis. Any of these fish can be kept with dwarf shrimp IMO, except I think the licorice gouramis would eat baby shrimp.

I wouldn't put harlequins in a 4 gallon tank. Embers would be questionable IMO but probably doable.

other than the obligatory betta inhabitant, you might consider:

- ghost shrimp
- african dwarf frog

also, you could probably put a paradise fish in there if it's kept alone... you may not even need a heater with a paradise fish depending on the room temperature. They don't play nice though, so keep it in solitude. good luck!

severum mama said:
If you're able to find them, there are some very small rasboras that max out at under an inch, like Boraras brigittae and Boraras merah (there are other species in the genus too). Or, you could try a group of celestial pearl danios. If you want a real challenge, check out licorice gouramis. Any of these fish can be kept with dwarf shrimp IMO, except I think the licorice gouramis would eat baby shrimp.

Thank you for the suggestions. I used to have a few Galaxy Rasbora in one of my tanks. They were a beautiful & rather tiny Rasbora. Do you think they might be suitable?

Galaxy rasbora and celestial pearl danio are both common names for the same species, danio margaritatus. :)

Last edited:
severum mama said:
Galaxy rasbora and celestial pearl danio are both common names for the same species, danio margaritatus. :)

Great. They were little stars, but lost out to some of the bigger tank mates, so it would be nice to give a few a sanctuary of their own :)

I have found that they are a lot less shy when you are keeping them in a species tank. They would do great with some dwarf shrimp, like red cherry shrimp, if you want.

severum mama said:
I have found that they are a lot less shy when you are keeping them in a species tank. They would do great with some dwarf shrimp, like red cherry shrimp, if you want.

Thanks. I found a fish store when out on my travels today with a section for Nano friendly fish & inverts. Some lovely green rasbora & cherry shrimp too. Also a very neat little Fluval heater for Nano tanks, which was very unobtrusive. Looking forward to another tank to set up :)

I started with just native plants (I'm in Louisiana) but ended up with some least killifish on one of my last runs. I'm keeping them in a gallon tank and they've been doing great. The tank was well established before I put them in though, so they have a wide range of food from zooplankton to snails to algae to graze on.

Back
Top Bottom