Nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zidion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
whats a good way to start out a nano tank?

for example:

what size is best to start out with?

should I go w/ like a nanocube, or get the stuff all seperately?

Are the custome nanocubes worth the money?

thanks
-Z

I agree. When one of the components on the nanocubes burns up you have a problem replacing them as easily. Not impossible to replace just more complicated/expensive. Did you want something in the 10g or less or did you want a 15 or 20g? We have a 20g and it is working out great.

I like my nano it's only problem is it's to small. I have a 24g. Its cool. It looks nice everything is built in and you don't see alot of the stuff in the tank like powerheads. However, I am not one to say as I'm upgrading to a bigger tank in the next 6 months. It's been a great learning experience for me. I enjoy it very much. My personal experience is I'm glad I didn't go with a custom nano now that I've decided to upgrade I don't feel so bad about the money I've spent on this tank. I will keep it for a QT. Best of luck with your discission.

electrikat said:
I agree. When one of the components on the nanocubes burns up you have a problem replacing them as easily. Not impossible to replace just more complicated/expensive. Did you want something in the 10g or less or did you want a 15 or 20g? We have a 20g and it is working out great.

prob something around 15 or 20.

i like the 24g nanocube, but they say the nanocubes you have to upgrade alot of the parts on it (like change the lights out, and add stuff etc). and I really dont want to have to do that.

the 6g actually looks realyl awaesome, but seems light it might be too hard to handle.

Well i dont think anything over 10gal or so is considered a nano, but anyways....The smaller you go the more likely you will have problems with your tank. Granted not always but usually, a small problem becomes are big one in a small tank. I would recommend a 20gal long if thats the size you wanna get. HTH

gooyferret said:
Well i dont think anything over 10gal or so is considered a nano, but anyways....The smaller you go the more likely you will have problems with your tank. Granted not always but usually, a small problem becomes are big one in a small tank. I would recommend a 20gal long if thats the size you wanna get. HTH

is there a list/review site of stuff that is good for an aquarium. like pumps, and lights, etc.

Pretty much anything less than 20g is considered a nano, however the smaller you go the harder it is to find lighting to fit the top, and the harder it is to keep the water parameters up. A 20g long is perfect, imo, I wish mine were the long variety. Look into all the equipment before you buy any of it. The other good thing about getting seperate components is that you can reuse the parts on a bigger tank later if you decide a nano isn't working for you.

are you a first timer when it comes to SW?

I have seen alot of Newbies loose interest because of the limitations that nanos have when it comes to stocking with fish.

start with a 55 or so. You will like it alot better. More fish, more fun, easier to care for.

My LFS sells them prebuilt with everything already established including corals + fish for 300. But if you want a cheap nano go to eBay they have the goods for a low price. I agree with mp3z24 they require more attention due to lower water volume things can go wrong much quicker than they would with a 55 or larger.

Iput together the 12gal JBJ nanocube deluxe last Dec. I am pretty happy with the unit. I like the all-in-one system and the back filtration compartments are a great place to run carbon adn hide a heater. Pros and cons but overall I like it.

Back
Top Bottom