Native fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz_0401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I have a well establishes 55 gallon tank that has natural sand and river rock mix for substrate lots of plants (amazon sword, java moss, 3 different anubus and jungle val grows like crazy!) and driftwood. I also would like to add some large rocks to this tank. My plam is to convert this into a native fish tank I was thinking a pair of blue gill but I am open to suggestions:)

Any thoughts on this? Or tips on how to make this tank the most natural for these fish? Are the plants i curently have ok to mix witg natives? What should my stock list be? I will probably keep my large pair of bn plecos super reds in this tank also.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is funny because right now I am actually considering taking my husband's suggestion and making my 60 gallon a native tank as well. But I am going with pumpkinseed sunfish, instead of bluegill. I think Bluegill get too big for a 55. I was going to do just two pumpkinseed for my 60g.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I will have to look into pumpkinseeds don't know much about them. I was leanung towards blue gill bc I have some I can catch locally.

I will have to look into pumpkinseeds dont know much about them. I was lean on towards blue gill bc I have some I can catch locally.

I think pumpkinseed are equally widespread. I just like them better. They are prettier, imo. And smaller, which means you can keep more. :)

Bluegills can get up to 12 inches and about 4 1/2 lbs. A 55g is 12" deep, so the bluegill would not even be able to turn comfortably. Of course you could just have him for dinner before he gets that big ... Just kidding!

The pumpkinseed is 6-8" and less than 1lb.

Awesome thanks for the advice I'll be sure to look into it I've heard of people keeping a breeding pair in a 55 but I dont know if they ended up upgrading to a larger tank

Skip the bluegill, make some awesome rock caves and catch some pumpkinseed! I've caught full grown ones, they tend to stay around the 8" range. Some mosquitofish are cool livebearers that can easily be caught as well, although they may become food once the pumpkinseed gets big. This is going to be cool, I'm following!

Skip the bluegill, make some awesome rock caves and catch some pumpkinseed! I've caught full grown ones, they tend to stay around the 8" range. Some mosquitofish are cool livebearers that can easily be caught as well, although they may become food once the pumpkinseed gets big. This is going to be cool, I'm following!

I have mosquitofish. We just caught a speckled mosquitofish this past weekend. I was thinking about having the sunfish and mosquitofish together.

In the wild, mosquitofish are the natural prey of a TON of common fish (including pumpkinseed) You could try it since the mosquitofish tend to stay at the top, and pumpkinseed at the bottom. DOn't be surprised if you end up with a very happy pumpkin seed with Mfish in it's stomach :)

In the wild, mosquitofish are the natural prey of a TON of common fish (including pumpkinseed) You could try it since the mosquitofish tend to stay at the top, and pumpkinseed at the bottom. DOn't be surprised if you end up with a very happy pumpkin seed with Mfish in it's stomach :)

That would be ok. Free food. :). Mosquitofish are super common where I live. Also, if we get the sunfish, I would only take ones that are about 2-3" tops. I want them to grow out in the tank.

Where do you commonly find pumpkinseeds? I've never caught one? Or does anyone know where I could buy some but I'd rather catch them more fun :) and free food is always good ;)

Where do you commonly find pumpkinseeds? I've never caught one? Or does anyone know where I could buy some but I'd rather catch them more fun :) and free food is always good ;)

They are more common in the north. There's a couple of places online that sells them.

They are more common in the north. There's a couple of places online that sells them.

I noticed from what I found online thank you!

Would anyone mind posting pictures of their native tanks? Needing some ideas for scrapes:) would also like a stock list of plants and fish

Alright thanks FW I'll look into them! Any idea how many would work in a 55 could I do pumpkinseeds and longears or would there be aggression issues?

I've been doing further research and found 3 types of sunfish that stay pretty small and are colorful: longear, blue spotted and dollar. I think you could fit about 6 in a 55g. I'm thinking about getting 2 of each and also adding a school of shiners or mosquitofish.

Back
Top Bottom