Native Fish - Who All is Keeping Them and Which Ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Curious to see how many members are currently keeping native fish and what you are keeping or what you have kept in the past?

I've currently got a 40B turtle tank set up with White Cloud minnows - they are doing well, and the population is slowly increasing due to natural reproduction.

Just got in an order of natives today; Elassoma okenfenokee (Okefenokee pygmy sunfish), Etheostoma fusiforme (Swamp Darter), and Heterandria formosa (least killifish) that will be going into a separate 40B turtle tank.

I've kept a number of darters and sculpins. My favorite is the Northren Stud Fish. Itis a beautiful top water killie that grow to 3"-4". I've had dollar sunfish. Very good color, meaner than mean. They also tear up the substrate.

Nice - I've looked at the sculpins, they are a cold water fish are they not? The northern stud fish sounds cool, any pictures?

Male Elassoma okenfenokee (Okefenokee pygmy sunfish);

And one of the females;

Last edited:
Few updated pictures of the natives. The male Male Elassoma okenfenokee (Okefenokee pygmy sunfish) has colored up nicely;

The females seem to have settled in as well;

The least Killies are looking good (I did lose one of the smaller ones);

And the swamp darters are looking good as well;

I owned a rock bass by himself in a 75 gallon for years, but he just passed. They are fun, hardy, and grow to a large size. My was 13 inches long, and weighed 1.5 pounds. Here's a video link to a video of when he was smaller:

Years ago I kept something like purple spotted gudgeon. Looks like not possible now to keep them but they used to be in the creek.

A really friendly fish that was very alert, would get very tame and also survived my ham fisted fish keeping efforts.

They were about 2 to 3 inches long I think and had amazing colour.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/purple.html

Beautiful pygmy sunfish, Wy. Are you hoping to get them to breed?

Also, anyone here keep any native shrimp? Just moved next to a stream recently and am planning on seeing if there are any wild neos in there.

Back
Top Bottom