Pros-Cons of collecting native fish -Darters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian Zimmerman is awesome - the fish were well packed, and all alive and active in the bags when they showed up.

He even sent me an extra brown bullhead! Pics of them in the bag aren't turning out at all, they never hold still. I'll have to wait for when they settle down into their holding tank tonight.

How big would you say they are?

How big would you say they are?

The browns are .75-1" I'd say. The Chubsuckers are 1-1.5".

The big tank is going to look kind of silly stuffed with plants and driftwood... and then no livestock other than these tiny guys, lol.

The browns are .75-1" I'd say. The Chubsuckers are 1-1.5".

The big tank is going to look kind of silly stuffed with plants and driftwood... and then no livestock other than these tiny guys, lol.

Lol yeah but they will grow pretty fast. I'm still contemplating getting sunnies because of my turtle. They will be food at that size no doubt.

I've had the bullheads grow from 1" to over 6" inches in six months depending on how active you are with feeding.

I feed my other fish once per day or once every 2 days depending on how heavily their tanks are planted. I expect that these guys will start out with once a day.

They've all entered the QT tank with no problems - a bit hard to get pictures though as I've yet to see the bullheads sit still AT ALL and the chubsuckers are hiding under the driftwood I stuck in there. The bullheads sure are typical cats though, i dropped a 2mm NLS pellet into their transition bin and they immediately ate it, lol. I guess you could say that's my first "health check" when I get my catfish - toss a piece of food in, if they don't eat it something might not be right :lol:

I feed my other fish once per day or once every 2 days depending on how heavily their tanks are planted. I expect that these guys will start out with once a day.

They've all entered the QT tank with no problems - a bit hard to get pictures though as I've yet to see the bullheads sit still AT ALL and the chubsuckers are hiding under the driftwood I stuck in there. The bullheads sure are typical cats though, i dropped a 2mm NLS pellet into their transition bin and they immediately ate it, lol. I guess you could say that's my first "health check" when I get my catfish - toss a piece of food in, if they don't eat it something might not be right :lol:

Haha solid indicator.

Ok, finally!

The three bullheads are different sizes, pretty evently between .75 and 1". This is the "mid sized" one that decided to slow down and enjoy life for a moment.

0qDLyez.jpg

For reference, those white dots on the wood are ~2mm I think.

Smaller Chubsucker in the foreground. They do some pretty funny stuff but they aren't active at all right now (they're not an intrepid catfish so we can forgive them for this). Earlier I caught the bigger one in a semi-inverted position on part of the driftwood. I thought he was in trouble at first, but now when I go check on them, the two of them are always in some weird spot perched on an object at an odd angle.

jXcrcoS.jpg

They seem to have turned their noses up at my NLS at last. I'm going to get some frozen or live worms for them in the meantime.

I have ordered from zimmermansfish before. As stated above all were packed very well and all were alive. I had gotten 10 sunfish in all. Warmouth, Longear, pumpkinseed, and Western Dollars. I also have kept bullheads. One of which was 10 inches long. He has recently died (very old) and I have one now that is approx 2 inches.

Back
Top Bottom