Nat'l Geographics Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, my ph with Nat George substrate was approx. 6.0. After adding crushed coral raised slowly to 7.5.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've used it in my tanks. I put pool filter sand, then topped it off with their sand for something softer for my cories. It altered my pH to 6.0 or lower, but after adding crushed coral and a dash of baking soda it's been steady at 7.6

Sent from my 831C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the responses.

What is your tap water pH?

I'm trying to avoid sand b/c I've gotten diatoms in my main aquarium and in a 5.5 gallon that has no fish or fish food... Just plants.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

From my tap my water is 6.8, give or take.

Sent from my 831C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tap ph is crazy high (like 8.0) so this sand worked out great for me! In fact, I read about it lowering ph so that's why I bought it. Ph is running steady at 7.7ish- still not perfect, but better!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all so very much!!! It sounds like it would drop the pH such that one might be able to use the pagoda or seiryu stones.

Several months ago I posted this thread relative to pagoda rock:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/aquarium-rock-question-305747.html

My seiryu stones fizzed in vinegar so I put them on the side for my daughter's garden. I might run some tests.

Thank you greatly!!!

Thank you all so very much!!! It sounds like it would drop the pH such that one might be able to use the pagoda or seiryu stones.

Several months ago I posted this thread relative to pagoda rock:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/aquarium-rock-question-305747.html

My seiryu stones fizzed in vinegar so I put them on the side for my daughter's garden. I might run some tests.

Thank you greatly!!!

I hate it when amazing things fiz in vinegar. :(

You're very welcome, and best of luck in this situation! :)

I've used the black and the white, didn't alter pH at all.

The "sand" ones are something synthetic I think, like small bits of whatever they make colored gravel from. The grains are too light to be true sand.

This does make it tricky for gravel vacuuming but it meant it worked well as a cap for some ADA aquasoil (being so lightweight it has never sunk and revealed the AS).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thank you! I think I will keep it and as soon as time permits, I'll run some tests and post my results.

I was specifically looking for non-silica sand. So, this might be the key. Thanks!!!

Does anyone have any add'l info on the Nat Geo substrate, 2 yrs. after. I'm about to use it in a startup tank.

I wouldn't. It's some sort of painted resin. The color flakes off and it's too lightweight.

I ended up rebuilding both the tanks I had it in, using sand instead.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom