need a bottom dweller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, n/p, Mother. We have all been there ... some of us more than once, LOL. 8)

First, I have to correct the urban legend of one inch per gallon "rule". I find myself correcting this fallacy all over the web on the various sites I post on ... it is one that inexperienced fishkeepers pass to one another, and a big one for the LFS. This "rule of thumb" is really no rule of thumb at all.

If this were logical in practice, does this mean that I can keep my 10-inch Oscar in a 10g tank ? What about my two 5-inch African cichlids ? Of course not. Neither of these scenarios would be sensible, yet they would follow the "one inch per gallon" guidelines.

Most varieties of Goldfish get enormous. They are highly underestimated fish in terms of their size, and are not slow-growers. They will outgrow the 30g in just a matter of months so I would advise against any more fish for your 30g given the size of the ones you already have plus the consideration of the volume of waste they produce. It would just simply be far too many big fish in a far too small tank !

Sorry for the highjack, megnmick ! :(

Mother, in order to get more feedback it might be a good idea to start a new thread so other people can see your question !

Bit of Info on the 1" Rule

The 1" rule has always been meant as a maximum for small tropical fish aquariums (Mollies, Platies, Tetras, Guppies, etc.) Those have always been the most common tropical fish aquariums being kept out there and as such the rule is still useful if viewed in this context. This important detail about the rule seems to have been lost over time though. It has been improperly recognized as some kind of universal stocking rule covering all fish groups.

So how did this rule get distorted? My theory is as follows:

A newbie to the aquarium scene shows up at his lfs with money in hand looking to buy a 10 gallon aquarium. Having done no research he walks in with a big grin on his face simply wanting to buy as many coloful fish as he can. The lfs owner sizes him up pretty fast and suggests that he chooses fish from a colorful collection of the most common tropical fish (Mollies, Tetras, Guppies, etc.). The customer excitedly asks "How many can I get?". The lfs owners says "well, you can get 1" of fish from this selection for each gallon your tank holds." So the choices are made and the newbie goes home happy.

The lfs owner didn't take time to fully explain why he used 1" cuz he was busy restocking his new supply of Bio Spira. :wink: As such, when the customer decides to buy his girlfriend a small gold fish for christmas he simply buys a gold fish bowl to house it in. 8O Then the newbie signs onto this forum to read up on how to care for this new addition (after seeing signs of stress) only to learn that he has made the common mistake of assuming the 1" rule is a universal stocking rule. :wink:

** takes a bow **

Thanks... I'll be here all week... don't forget to tip your wait staff. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom