Need advice, 10g help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my 10g tank for close to a year now and I have had many problems and I only have 1 original fish from a year ago. I really enjoy taking care of the tank and the fish but I'm at a loss of what to do, I feel like a terrible person letting my fish die so I've come here to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong, many poor fish had passed away in my tank. I've been reading around and it says that 10g tanks are harder to take care of than bigger tanks and I was thinking of upgrading to maybe a 30g if it will help me not kill any more than I already have. :(

My current tank layout is a 10g tank lighted by natural light and I used blinds to regulate it. I have 4 fish currently in the tank, 1 is a black tetra (hes the only survivor from a year ago), 1 cardinal tetra, 1 other white tetra (not sure what type exactly but he is all white and resembles the black tetra in body type), and my last fish I believe is a Chinese algae eater. I just recently had a pleco to help with the algae I've had, he cleaned the tank up pretty well but he died only after 3-4 days of taking him home from the pet store. Now my white tetra and my cardinal tetra have what I believe is fish ick? They have white spots all over them and my cardinals fins look ragged. I went to the store and got some aquarium salt and some melafix and started using that today to try and stop it. I'm fairly certain the cardinal isn't going to make it he is really rough at the moment.

The problem, is not are you already overstocked with you're algae eater, the fish you have have to be in minimum schools of 6 each. So what you're fish are doing are releasing a lot of toxins in the water witch kills them. Also, did you check you're water readings? Chance is that you're aquarium is not cycled, witch lets the Ammonia and nitrite kill you're fish. You need to do frequent water changes and get a test kit to make sure you're fish are safe. Yet again, you're tank is over crowded, and you're fish die of stress/intoxication, since they aren't in large enough schools.

PH is around 7.4 ppm
Nitrite is at 0 ppm
Ammonia is at .50 ppm
Nitrate is around 5.0 ppm (maybe a bit less)

I guess I shouldn't ask the pet store people about what fish I should buy then. I generally tell them what I have and ask if it will be okay for the fish I'm buying and the answer is usually always yes.

PH is around 7.4 ppm
Nitrite is at 0 ppm
Ammonia is at .50 ppm
Nitrate is around 5.0 ppm (maybe a bit less)

I guess I shouldn't ask the pet store people about what fish I should buy then. I generally tell them what I have and ask if it will be okay for the fish I'm buying and the answer is usually always yes.
Most of the time, they are wrong. You can try researching these fish, and you will see, they need to be in schools of at least 6, or it can considerably stress them.

Where do you think I should go from here?
I would suggest trying to look for another fish that is solitary and that can fit in you're 10 gallon tank:) One Nice fish is better then multiple small fish:S
Unless you really like you're fish, but it would really be risking it keeping them alone.

If I get one solitary fish what should I do with my other fish? Should I just get a bigger tank and start it right instead of the way this one was.

If I get one solitary fish what should I do with my other fish? Should I just get a bigger tank and start it right instead of the way this one was.
What i did last time i couldn't keep my fish was give them to my lfs. How big is the alternative tank you are getting?

I was thinking about getting a 30g tank. My lfs doesn't take fish unless you recently bought them from the store.

Getting a bigger tank would be a good idea, having a bigger tank gives you more room for error.

Do you think my only real problem is the wrong kind of fish and to many?

no. you have an issue with .5 ppm ammonia. What is your partial water change schedule? how much? how often? Are you changing your filter media or rinsing it in tap water? It sounds like you are going through constant mini-cycles.

I was thinking about getting a 30g tank. My lfs doesn't take fish unless you recently bought them from the store.
If you can, You should get a 55gallon tank. You can get very nice fish, such as cichlids, oscars(not for long), and all tropical fish that fit.
I had a 55gallon, but i sold it to get a 120 gallon, witch i am upgrading to a 400gallon soon:)
Good luck making you're choice.

I change my filter every 4 weeks, I don't mess with it unless to change it. I was doing about a 30% water change every 5 days or so, but recently I've been doing a 20% every 3 days because of the algae. But the algae is all gone and hasn't been back.

Welcome to the forum!

Couple of things..... your tank probably IS cycled but given that you recently added a pleco and it died you are seeing an ammonia spike. My personal motto is: "just say no to the common pleco!" Most of us cannot probably house an adult one as they require large tanks.

Ich.... this can be treated without meds and salt if caught early enough. Slowly crank the heat up as high as possible. It is very common to see ich when introducing new fish and NOT quaranting them.

If you do opt to upgrade the tank, take the filter from the 10g and put it on the larger tank. Ultimately you will want your tetras in a larger tank with a school of their own.

What is your water change schedule like?

I think a 55g might be to big for my apartment, I don't plan on staying here that much longer, maybe 6 more months and then I'll be moving.

Welcome to the forum!

Couple of things..... your tank probably IS cycled but given that you recently added a pleco and it died you are seeing an ammonia spike. My personal motto is: "just say no to the common pleco!" Most of us cannot probably house an adult one as they require large tanks.

Ich.... this can be treated without meds and salt if caught early enough. Slowly crank the heat up as high as possible. It is very common to see ich when introducing new fish and NOT quaranting them.

If you do opt to upgrade the tank, take the filter from the 10g and put it on the larger tank. Ultimately you will want your tetras in a larger tank with a school of their own.

What is your water change schedule like?
Using old filter media is good to build up, but for getting a bigger tank, it might not have enough bacteria to destroy the toxins, witch will cause a bacterial bloom. :D

So am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing with my water changes or should I change it?

Do you think my only real problem is the wrong kind of fish and to many?

For a 10g yes you have the wrong fish and to many. But for a 30g I think you would be somewhat close to stocking level if you finished out each school that your remaining fish need.

Back
Top Bottom