Need advice about switching to Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 29Gal planted with a Penguin 200 filter with Bio-Wheel. I would like to switch to Canister. Can someone please describe what I will need to buy and what the maintenance is like on a canister? I would like to keep this as budget conscious as possible as I am more of a fan of the aquarium world than my wife is. :)

Thanks

u2_Crazy said:
I currently have a 29Gal planted with a Penguin 200 filter with Bio-Wheel. I would like to switch to Canister. Can someone please describe what I will need to buy and what the maintenance is like on a canister? I would like to keep this as budget conscious as possible as I am more of a fan of the aquarium world than my wife is. :)

Thanks
tell me a little more about your tank... how heavily populated is it?

do you have life plants?

are you looking for Mechanical filtration, biological filtration or some of both?

although i personally have never used them...many here have said good things about RENA Filstar line of canisters...

and XP1 should be enough for your tank... how ever i believe that the XP2 for an extra ~$20 will give you a little more bang for your buck...you can never have too much filtration IMO

as far as maintenance...again i can not speak from personal experience with RENA canisters...but my EHEIM on my 75 gal is fairly easy to maintain... i just disconnect the hoses and clean some of the big pieces of gunk and replace the filter floss about once every 1-2 months...

I have 2 Rena XP3s and will be getting an XP2 for Christmas. They are easy to maintain. I rinse my foam pads monthy or every 1.5 months in old tank water. Where the hoses go into the cannister (you can probably see from a picture), it disconnects and allows you to take the cannister part to the sink/tub easily. Its very easy to start up and very inexpensive for a cannister IMO. The directions to put everything together are very easy to follow.
I personally would go ahead and get the XP2 for your 29g. I hope to eventually get one for my 29g. The extra $20 or so gives you one more filter media basket, which is great IMO.

I currently have a lightly planted tank.

Occupants include 10 Black neon tetras, 5 Tiger Barbs, 2 Clown Plecos, 2 Yoyo Loaches, 1 Mystery Snail.

not sure which type of filtration I want (mech or bio) probably a good balance of both.

Can you tell me, is the Rena xp2 out of the box all that I need or do I have to buy filer media as well? Also, is there any maintenance costs involved?? do I have to buy new media every few weeks?
This is part of the reason I am changing as the ongoing cost of buying filters for my penguin 200 is about $20 every 2 - 3 months.

Can you tell me, is the Rena xp2 out of the box all that I need or do I have to buy filer media as well?
The only thing it doesn't include is biological filtration. But you can get some Bioballs for about $10 and that will give you more than enough (I used 1 gallon of them for 2 Xp3s). Ceramic rings would work too, if you could find them. Rena of course has their own brand of biological filtration, bio-chem stars and ceramic rings, but they you don't get as much for the price.

Also, is there any maintenance costs involved?? do I have to buy new media every few weeks?
IME, no cost involved in maintenance. I have never replaced my foam pads or bioballs. I just rinse out one of the foam pads in old tank water once a month or so and alternate them. I also use filter floss in mine (pillow stuffing), but you can get it at a craft store for probably cheaper. Thats just an example.

(And I even made the site switch to the Canadian site for ya ;))

I was about to link to Drs Foster and Smith, but thought I'd check because I've linked to that before and the person was not in the US. :) Since he/she is Canadian, I thought I'd link to Big Al's instead.

I also would like to know what would the benfit be of switching to a canister from my HOB Penguin 150?
And how easy is it to run DIY CO2 in the tank? I am currently running my CO2 through my intake but I hear with canisters it could damage the impellor. My biload is in my signature and the tank is medium planted and looking to go more heavily on the plants.

flushingfish said:
I also would like to know what would the benfit be of switching to a canister from my HOB Penguin 150?
And how easy is it to run DIY CO2 in the tank? I am currently running my CO2 through my intake but I hear with canisters it could damage the impellor. My biload is in my signature and the tank is medium planted and looking to go more heavily on the plants.
i have great sucess running my DIY CO2 into the intake of a powerhead...for what it is worth... with a canister you get less surface movement then with a HOB so i would think you would have less out gassing of the CO2... there are also some good DIY inline Reactors you could look into as well.

Back
Top Bottom