Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got a BRS kit in. It's pretty complete. Plastic snap together window frame, cord, mesh and tools.

I noticed in the kits for a 4ft tank, it only comes w/ four corners. I have a divider in the top of the center of my tank. I think I'd rather two separate screens. So I'd be buying 2 kits... might as well just piece it together at Home Depot. I'll price it out.

I had to do the same thing. Two 2'x3' screens. Cost around $70. If you can find it locally, probably cheaper.

Made screens for all three of my tanks plus one for a member on my local forum and as you can see from my other post still have mesh left back and I only spend about 30$.

I just made 3 screens for my 125g the other day. I had the bulk reef supply netting already and it cost me about $30-40$ as well. Cheap way to keep the critters in I hope. lol

I can't believe it! I was away for three days and now my tank is casting a green aura. I can't believe I ever asked what algae looked like. I need a CUC pronto! Have talked to John and sent pics. He made a recommendation for me. I just hope it's not too late!

Attachments

• image-2257207985.jpg
    image-2257207985.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 52
All my tanks have gone through this type of algae phase and it then turned to purple, at least for me. Are there any strands of algae or just the green tint?

So it's just on rocks & such, the water itself isn't green, right? Get turbo snails or Astrea as my LFS calls them, they're THE BEST!! Also, you can pull your rock out & scrub it w/ a brush in the old tank water in a bucket or whatev during a PWC. Hermit Crabs help too! But the turbos seem to be the most thorough IMO.

And it's not something that can't wait til you get back. Once it's there, it's in there. Scrubbing now or later won't make a diff. It actually eats up NitrAte so it's not doing harm IMO.

There's a little of everything in there. I've had some red-purple coralline going. The rocks closest to the top and back by the lights have had some grass looking stuff. It was mainly on 2 rocks. I was just shocked to come home and see how much it had grown and spread. Its on most of the rocks now. I've also got some diatoms on top of the sand and a brown " shadow" on the glass-again it's primarily in the back near the lights.

I bought 2 turbo snails about 2 weeks ago but they aren't even close to controlling it. John recommended something like 100 snails!!!!!

I just don't want this to get out of control and cause me to have to restart the tank.

And no green water Tango--- thank goodness!

My hermit crabs have done a wonderful job as a CUC, I added 15 to my 29 near the end of the cycle and haven't ever had algae issues.

That's the right attitude, beat the algae before it has a chance to take over the tank.

John tends to overstock with cuc lol. I always go with the cleaner packs that are half the recommended size and it has served me well.

Interesting that he didn't recommend any crabs. And I already told y'all that my hermits are lazy! I was thinking I might need some crabs of some sort and a lawn mower blenny. What do yall think?

Will the algae harm the fish in any way?

Also thinking I might back off on the lighting. It is staying on all day, probably 12 hours if not more. Those lights are so bright you could light a Broadway stage with them!

I would definitely cut down on lighting. To my knowledge the algae is actually beneficial to your tank, we just all work hard to keep it out of the display tank because it isn't pretty.

The color is beautiful and I don't really have anything else to look at in there! My 2 black and white clowns look tiny in there. We were going to add fish this weekend but I didn't know if I should get that CUC going first. Also don't know what fish to add next. Most of the family favorites won't work well together or need a more mature tank. What's the best algae eating herbivore?

I have 10 turbos. And yes, you can have up to 1 per gallon. They're basically still on the same rock I put them on over a week ago! I do plan to put them on the other rocks developing some algae. I'd say 6hrs daylight & a couple of hours of blue before & after the daylight. Just not turning your daylights on for few days might kill the algae too or at least make it hard on the algae since you don't have any corals that depend on the light. And get you a good telescoping handle scraper. Worth every penny. I have an extendable up to 24" kent marine one. No hands in the tank & I can get all the things that grow on the glass!

Tango: is your scraper the kind with a blade or a scouring pad?

It has a blade which you need for Coralline on the glass, a plastic scraper for acrylic (I use that on my overflow) & an algae scrubber which is a green flossy type pad material.

Lets talk stock!

Making the trek to the semi-LFS today. Gonna get my algae scraper and see if they have a mesh top kit. Looked at Home Depot and I think their bird mesh is too big. The holes are as big as my egg crate.

Thought I would add a fish too but not sure what to add next. I let each of my boys choose their favorites and I don't think any of these will work together ( yes I know the list is random and crazy. Remember I have 4 little boys). I've read that some require a more mature tank before you can add them. Right now we have the 2 clowns and the bicolor blenny. What do y'all think is workable and what order do I add them?
Pygmy angel
Flame angel
Long horned cow fish
Porcupine puffer or saddle puffer
Lion fish
Spotted sweetlips
Green mandarin
Auriga butterfly
Bicolor pseudo
Banded pipefish
Clam
Long nose butterfly
Humu trigger

Quarantine question: I need to a water change on my QT today. I have already dosed it with prazi pro Do I just add more medicine back in to the tank according to the amount of water I replace?

Also: at what ammonia level do I need to do a water change on the QT?

Back
Top Bottom