Need advice on fish for an 8 and 10 year old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxane1232

Aquarium Advice Activist
For gifts for my 2 nephews this year I bought them each their own 10 gallon tank, with everything need. One wants a beta, but also wants frogs, the other one wants something a little more complicated. After picking out some panda corydoras for my tank he has decided he wants some for his as well. I am however worried that they might be a little to sensitive for a young hobbyist, any ideas on other fish that would catch his eye the way the pandas are but at the same time be more practical for a 10 gallon and a little more hardy. (yes they kind of know what they are getting but wanted to get an idea of what fish they wanted so I could set up their tanks properly)

Pelvicachromis pulcher pair might be cool, but it depends on how it is furnished and what foods you plan on feeding. More tank details would be nice.

Filtration, lighting, substrate, etc.

Pelvicachromis pulcher pair might be cool, but it depends on how it is furnished and what foods you plan on feeding. More tank details would be nice.

Filtration, lighting, substrate, etc.

I have sand substrate for my nephew that wants to do the cories, a led light, and plan on doing low maintenance low light plants like ferns, moss etc, he also has a ship that has caves for the fish to hide in, for the other tank I have black gravel substrate, with fluorescent lighting, a ship deco, and a bell cave and plan on also putting moss , and floating plants in that tank. I will plan on showing them how to feed their fish frozen foods, flakes, bug bites, as well as prepping fresh veggies like peas, cucumbers etc.

Personally a small group of long fin zebra danio would be great but I don't know if the tank is to small for them. The longfin zebra danio have long flowing fins that are beautiful to look at and they are very active. The fish are hardy and it's fun to watch them chase each other. I would recommend them but I don't know if the tank is to small.

I've heard that zebra danios are too active for a ten gallon. I don't know for sure, I have some in a ten gallon and they are definitely active. Some kind of schooling fish would look nice. My brother is 16, but when we had tanks when we were younger his favorite were neon tetras. He still tells me I should get some, but I haven't found room. There are other types of danios, maybe some that are smaller? Or a platy? I have a single female, so no babies, but she is pretty.

Back
Top Bottom