Need advice on water issues and tank set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
:?: I again ask for your advice on the following in preparation of the arrival of my tank. I have purchased and installed a RO/DI unit that will feed me water for my tank. However as this is a dual use unit (will supply RO water for home use), the unit is located under the kitchen sink with a 4 gallon storage tank. The DI unit is plumbed with a separate valve and line for drawing this water. My tank will be located on another level in the living room. Suggestions on how to accumulate the tank water for initial fill? Can I use small buckets until I have accumulated the 130 or so gallons, add the salt then transfer to the tank? Also when it is time for water changes, I have read some reference to this being easier with a sump (which I will have), depending on the plumbing set-up. would like some more information on this.

Thirdly, based on my reading, I am planning to create a DSB of about 4" using a base of Aragonite "playsand" and then top layering it with the bagged LS I already bought. I have 100Lbs. of that so I figure I need about another 120 Lbs of the base. Thanks to the advice on my question on detrivores, I will be adding a clean up crew to the tank as well. Based on what I have read, I get the impression that it is not a good idea to bury the LR in the sand, as this can create dead pockets. So I plan to use plastic legs (PVC Sch. 80) to support the rock cut to the depth of the DSB. I already ordered 120 LBS of base rock from Hirocks in HA and figure that I will use a top layer of LR from my LFS (to avoid the die off from an online order). Obviously, based on my initial "dry" aquascaping" I will determine if I need more base rock. My plan is to create an atoll like appearance in the tank. I think that this design offers the most open circulation as well as offering lots of nooks and crannies for the fish to hide. Any advice would be most appreciated

Wow, seems like you really got a good plan. Is there anyway you can fit larger buckets or something to transfer the water, as it seems that would take many long trips to the tank, if the tank is empty you could mix the salt and water in the tank making sure you have mixed all salt.

Sump for me when i use do water changes is the place i can empty my new water into so i am not disturbing the fish and corals in the tank.

About the liverock, the die off from online ordering can be good in some cases where people want to cycle their tanks with it, also the fact that you will save a lot by going online.

So how do you plan on circulation and waht lighting do you plan on?

Thanks for the reply. What I was wondering is because I have the LS, I am assuming that I cannot add this to the tank until I have the chemistry and temperature right, because I doubt this can be washed. So I guess that I can run a loooong hose from the DI unit to the tank and let it fill part way after I have the base rock and base sand in place, but before the LR and LS. I am curious about when you add water to your sump. Is this while the unit is running, or do you shut off the pump when you are doing the water change? How do you take the water out?

if you're using your sump to do water changes:
- shut off your return pump
- drain the sump of water in the amount you're going to change (use a syphon)
- re-fill the sump with the new water (be sure it's up to salinity and temp)
- turn your return pump back on.

all done.

Ditto on what billyz said, very simple procces. Keep us up to date on how it goes :D

Thanks for the help guys. Will keep you posted. By the way, just received my VHO lights, protein skimmer and pump. Expect the tank in about two weeks. Can't wait :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom