Need advice restarting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am very new at this and could use some real step by step advice for anyone out there who has the patience to help me...
I have a 20 gallon long tank that has been home to a single goldfish for a few months. After finding him a new home, I want to start over with some guppies, tetras, easy beautiful fish for beginners. I know goldfish produce a lot of waste. So, once I rehome him, what is the proper procedure to prepare the tank for its new inhabitants? Thanks a bunch!

Hi and welcome! First, you'll have to figure out if the tank is cycled or not. If you've had a goldie in the tank for a few months it should be cycled by now but a proper liquid test kit will determine that for sure. Since you want tropicals, you'll need a heater if you don't already have one. Here's a guide that may help with some general questions, but post specific questions if you have them: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the article. When I do water changes, I still see a lot of debris/waste floating around after I've poured in fresh water. So, I feel like the tank is dirty which would make me think to drain the whole thing and scrub out. However, I don't want to lose the benefit of having it cycled from having the goldfish in there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Get a Python or similar vacuum system, as that lets you be more specific in where you vacuum up crap from.

You can use a wet-dry vac to just skim the surface of the tank (you put the nozzle just above the surface where there is floating debris you want to remove, so it barely sucks any water at all... just enough to pull out the crud).

What Mordachai said about the vaccuming is a good idea. Most of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter, so a heavy cleaning should be okay. Tetras and guppies are okay, but I would do just tetras, as some tetras will nip guppies fins. I recommend for a beginner:
Bloodfin tetra
Neon tetra
Black widow tetra
Zebra Danio
Harlequin rasbora
Rosy barb
Cherry barb

Those are all good fish. Guppies are okay too, but they are messy fish and tetras are generally hardier. Also, the rasbora, barbs and danio are good too.

:welcome: to AA!

Thanks! Ok, I'm confused about this filter thing. I have a Whisper 30. I thought I'm supposed to wash out the sponge and replace the carbon every month. Did I miss something? Last time I changed it, the sponge was covered with all kinds of crud.

Thanks! Ok, I'm confused about this filter thing. I have a Whisper 30. I thought I'm supposed to wash out the sponge and replace the carbon every month. Did I miss something? Last time I changed it, the sponge was covered with all kinds of crud.
Beneficial bacteria live in the gravel and on the filter pad..the crud is actually the good bacteria. I would just rinse it off in a bucket and put it back. When you vacuum don't vacuum it all. Just a little here little there. Your probably sucking all the good bacteria up. Or don't vacuum at all. When you pour back into the tank. Pour it over a glass jar or cup or big rock in the tank so it didn't splash crud all over.

Back
Top Bottom