Need Advice with my Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocgirlmelanie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Jack Dempsey Cichlid, who is about a year and a half old in a 60 gallon tank. He was given to me as a baby by my idiot ex boyfriend who carelessly went and bought the cheapest fish he could find at the time and threw it in a tank he found in the dumpster. Anyway, I bought Augustus, my Jack Dempsey a 60 gallon tank, he is doing well I believe - considering I know nothing about fish or Cichlids except what I am trying to learn from the internet.

I have a few concerns. I have the Aqua Tech 60 gallon filter - but it does not seem to be filtering enough. I have to do water changes every week and the tank is sometimes kind of pungent smelling and filthy with large furry things floating around that come from the bottom and I do clean everything thoroughly. It is a lot of work. I would like to get a second form of filtration - one that is affordable as I am on a budget. Any suggestions, I am not sure if I should get plants or another mechanical filter - I have no idea - I want to reduce the cleaning to at least twice a month!

Also, I am stumped as to figuring out how many times a day I am supposed to feed him. It constantly stresses me, I don't know if he's hungry or not hungry and I am probably polluting the tank myself thinking he wants food when he is waiting around in the feeding corner and overfeeding him. I give him flakes, pellets, and freeze dried crickets. I'm going to add a vegetable once a week as I was just reading about that too.

Finally is he okay in there by himself - at this age - I am scared to try to add another fish!

So anyway, I apologize if any of these are really stupid questions, but I'm very fond of my fish, want to keep him healthy so any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 2013-01-23 08.04.22.jpg
    2013-01-23 08.04.22.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 142
Generally weekly water changes are pretty standard. There are some differing of opinion on that topic, and I'm sure the debate will ensue. I have 9 tanks and even my highly planted tanks sometimes get high nitrates.

Step one: you're on a budget so I think a large sponge filter might be a great option for you. They're not pretty but I find them dead useful. You can run it with your current filter, which I think is probably too small. I'm not a big hardware expert though.

Step two: prime is your best friend.

Step three: try to budget in an api master test kit if you can and try to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. I keep a log so I can see patterns. I test every tank every week before the water change. I have nine tanks... It's an all day affair.

Step four: ciclids intimidate me so I'm unsure about tank mates for a JD but maybe a bottom feeder for a companion is appropriate? I'm not sure. Also for over feeding it sounds like there is a lot of uneaten food. I've read that you should only feed what they can eat in a couple minutes. It's good that you're doing a varied diet! I'm willing to bet 1-2 times a day is plenty to feed.

Hope I was a little helpful. Good luck! He is a cute little guy.

Sent from my iPhone

He looks like a she. You should be able to get by with other similarly sized cichlids, just depends. I have an EBJD/JD pair and they don't get along with anyone or anything else. If it were just a solo female though she'd probably get along with most things that aren't food size.

Agreed, that is 100% a female JD.

First of all, great job keeping her in good shape. She doesn't look deformed or appear to be sick, so you've been doing something right.

Since you are on a budget, I wouldn't try plants. They will most likely be uprooted or destroyed, and not worth the risk right now.

Aquaclears and canisters would be best, but are pricey. I'd look into the sponge filter option suggested above, but you should also look into an Aqueon 55/75 HOB filter. I've done a bit of research on them and am going to pick one up soon, and it seems like a solid filter. Only $30 too. No need for cartridges, and you can stuff foam/biomax inside, or polyester batting (large bag at walmart is about 4 bucks).

It's good practice to do weekly water changes regardless of bio-load and filtration. Water changes remove nitrates and fish hormones that inhibit growth, and replace trace minerals.

I also agree with the comments on feeding above. Fish generally don't need to eat everyday, unless they are fry or juveniles. A semi-adult JD will be fine with once or twice daily, only what she can eat in 30-60 seconds. A quality pellet should be the staple diet, and freeze-dried/frozen/other food can be used as "treats" 2-3 times a week.

As for the biggest question, tankmates. At that age it's pretty much hit or miss with what will work. Your best option would be a smaller similar tempered CA cichlid, like a convict or firemouth. I've personally had success with them. I have 2 male JDs with 2 smaller male firemouth and convicts, no issues.

Look forward to what you decide on doing!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time and advice. He is cute :) I am going to purchase those items and hopefully things will get better. I just can't believe one fish can make that much of a mess, lol. Well with the help of his owner making a mess too! My ex boyfriend against my wishes did get him a bottom feeder, a pictus. And I was very upset when Augustus started tearing him up. I am very sensitive to animals so that kind was a kind of traumatic experience. Thus, I do feel your intimidation with the cichlids. I don't want to see anything suffer. You were very helpful and I will most definitely post in a month or so and let you know how everything is going with the tank!

Back
Top Bottom