Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARon9501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So on Sunday I finished scaping my 60 gallon tank and today I did a water test and it came with the following results: nitrate 20ppm, nitrite 0ppm, hardness 75ppm, kh 80ppm, and ph 7.2. What I would like is some advice from the forum if it is safe to add fish to my tank already. Reading the chart also said it was all safe but I'd like some suggestions from you guys.

Thanks

jetajockey said:
Were you fishless cycling? Did you test the ammonia?

Yes I removed all fish to scape and no I didn't test the ammonia but my canister filter has biomax in it.

ARon9501 said:
Yes it is for like 3 days

Cycled as in running empty for 3 days...or it completed establishing the nitrogen cycle 3 days ago?

You said you removed fish to scape...how long has the tank been set up and they'd been in there?

eco23 said:
Cycled as in running empty for 3 days...or it completed establishing the nitrogen cycle 3 days ago?

You said you removed fish to scape...how long has the tank been set up and they'd been in there?

It's been cycling empty for the past 3 days. I've had the whole tank running for like 6 months with fish, before last sunday.

If the filter media stayed wet the entire time (did it?) and the tank has been established for 6 months...if should be fine. A 50% water change to knock your nitrAtes down wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Make sure you get an ammonia test (liquid, not strips). It's never good to rely on a chemical or media to control it for you. If you just made big changes to the tank, keeping an eye on ammonia for the foreseeable future is going to be important.

Also just FYI, regardless of what the pet store calls it, "cycling" refers to the nitrogen cycle and the beneficial bacteria that controls the toxins in your aquarium...not about the filter running or water flow.

Out of curiosity, what made you wonder if the tank was safe or not, and where did you keep the fish during the re-scaping? Just curious :)

Last edited:
eco23 said:
If the filter media stayed wet the entire time (did it?) and the tank has been established for 6 months...if should be fine. A 50% water change to knock your nitrAtes down wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Make sure you get an ammonia test (liquid, not strips). It's never good to rely on a chemical or media to control it for you. If you just made big changes to the tank, keeping an eye on ammonia for the foreseeable future is going to be important.

Also just FYI, regardless of what the pet store calls it, "cycling" refers to the nitrogen cycle and the beneficial bacteria that controls the toxins in your aquarium...not about the filter running or water flow.

Out of curiosity, what made you wonder if the tank was safe or not, and where did you keep the fish during the re-scaping? Just curious :)

Well I just wanted to know from real people if it was safe. And I kept the fish in a quarantine tank with the same water I took off from the original tank. And thanks for the advice ur real good.

Back
Top Bottom