need advise on Angelfish fry with parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judymayes

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have Angelfish fry with their parents they are three days old we are wondering if we should leave them with the parents or take the parents away from them,they are currently in a 40 gal tank divided into two tanks .
We only want to do whats best for the fry
Judy

We have Angelfish fry with their parents they are three days old we are wondering if we should leave them with the parents or take the parents away from them,they are currently in a 40 gal tank divided into two tanks .
We only want to do whats best for the fry
Judy

Things to keep in mind:
Angelfish can breed as often as every 7-10 days.

Parents usually move the fry multiple times prior to them becoming free swimming (and making us fry watchers crazy looking for them :lol: lol)

When preparing for their next spawn, they will drive the babies from their previous spawn away.

By keeping the fry with the parents, it will delay the next spawn until the fry are free swimming and eating on their own (it usually delays this for about a week.)

Once the fry become free swimming, if they are in a tank by themselves, the parents serve no purpose anymore (regarding protection, feeding, etc) so they don't need to be with the parents. If they are in a tank with other fish, I'd move them out and into their own tank.

When I was breeding them, I always hatched my eggs artificially as this eliminates the possibility of the eggs getting eaten by the parents or the fry delaying the next spawn. I also hatched them in a clean empty/ bare tank so the fry could easily see the food once free swimming and I could easily clean up the excess food that the fish didn't eat.

I have bred as many as 100 pairs of Angels at a time so I am a little familiar with this fish's habits ;):D

If you'd like more help, feel free to pm me. (y)

help with fry of Angelfish

Thank you so much you advice sounds very good ,we are taking the fry out
Judy

Back
Top Bottom